Question: Is it usually incredibly difficult to slide the tailpiece cover off a mandolin?

Motorik

Kick Henry Jackassowski
A buddy has left his mandolin with me while he's gone on holiday. A couple of the strings are broken, so I want to restring it, but for the life of me I cannot budge the tailpiece cover. It will not move, Tried spraying WD40 on, pushing against the cover with the flat side of a coin, no luck. Feels like it's welded on!

Any suggestions?

All the ones I've messed with (not a huge sample size, but several) were press-fit and popped off with moderate finger pressure.

Try sliding it off backwards towards the end pin. I have a cheapo Oscar Schmidt F that goes on off that way and is really hard to budge.

It could be there's some surface rust causing them to bind. Use a hair dryer to heat the outer shell. That may help it loosen up.

Last edited:
The one on the mandolin I had was tough to get off, but not that tough. What brand is it?

Some super cheapo brand called 'Santana'. I presume Carlos had no hand in designing it. :embarrassed:

All the ones I've messed with (not a huge sample size, but several) were press-fit and popped off with moderate finger pressure.

Thanks. I sprayed it with WD40 and left it overnight, and then (with a fair bit of finger pressure) I was able to prise it off today.

Back