Is it me or....

realtree71

I crash bikes
Has the "Used" price market gone through the roof?

Was on the Craigslist this morning and Tele's CIJ $1000 and a Marshall 1936 2x12 cab for $600 and a Marshall MC 2x12 for $300

I love the CIJ Strats and Teles but 1K?

Wow

Hmmm, I wonder if the CIJ prices are due to the fact that there's a rumor going around, that Fender is going to stop making CIJ guitars.

Hmmm, I wonder if the CIJ prices are due to the fact that there's a rumor going around, that Fender is going to stop making CIJ guitars.
I thought the CIJ labels disappeared a while ago and they went back to MIJ.

Regardless, the Ensenada plant has been picking up a lot of production for Fender and churning out an excellent product and Fender has complete control over it while the Japanese stuff is contracted to Fujigen Gakki, Tokai, and Dyna Gakki.

Everyone wants top dollar. That's nothing new. Either stick it out at top dollar or reduce your price and sell quickly.

Really? Seems sort of odd to me. I'm not aware of any magic fairy dust that is only available on CIJ Fenders...

Not that I'd be angry at Fender, just that I can buy a Japanese Fender with the same fit and finish as an American Fender for less a lot less cash in most cases. The electronics don't matter much to me because I'm most likely going to replace pickups in either case. Plus, have you seen the stuff that Fender Japan offers that we don't get over here?

I haven't bought a new Fender in about six years, so it doesn't really matter to me! It's pretty easy to get a good deal on used US Fenders of good provenance if you keep your eyes open!

I have also noticed, at least lately and locally, that real good used gear or good used high end gear doesnt seem to be around lately..... at least on the local CL

Yep, I've been seeing the same thing. Though, not sure how much of that stuff is actually moving.

I've been on the looking for a 62 Reissue Strat and they're asking way too much money.

I BLAME OBAMA!!!!

"Plus, have you seen the stuff that Fender Japan offers that we don't get over here?" <---- This. I'm forever puzzled by why Fender doesn't offer such attractive, interesting models in their largest market.

Don't know about the rest of the world but the rule that has always applied to me is that when I sell my stuff it's worthless and when I buy it costs a fortune.

Craigslist is kind of a tough read. It costs nothing to post so there's no reason for sellers to ask realistic prices if they aren't motivated. I think some keep stuff out there in hopes they will hook somebody desperate.

I see the same stuff week after week, sometimes months and years on end.

Once word gets out something is a "good value" (Japanese Fender, Ibanez, Peavey T-series), prices usually climb to make it not so good anymore.

Craigslist is kind of a tough read. It costs nothing to post so there's no reason for sellers to ask realistic prices if they aren't motivated. I think some keep stuff out there in hopes they will hook somebody desperate.

I see the same stuff week after week, sometimes months and years on end.

Once word gets out something is a "good value" (Japanese Fender, Ibanez, Peavey T-series), prices usually climb to make it not so good anymore.

This. I got my first T-60 plus original case for $250 about 10 years ago. Gave away two T-15's. Wish I had at least one of them.

Has the "Used" price market gone through the roof?

Was on the Craigslist this morning and Tele's CIJ $1000 and a Marshall 1936 2x12 cab for $600 and a Marshall MC 2x12 for $300

I love the CIJ Strats and Teles but 1K?

Wow

Not only has the price increased, on GC used, the market has dried up. There were always Korean Deans, and Hamers. Almost none on there. When you do see one, it's a lot more $$.

I rebuilt an old 1989 Epiphone Les Paul a couple of years ago to sell. I listed it on CL for over a year before I sold it for my asking price. I have a few other pieces listed that have been running at least that long. I'm not desperate to move any of it and can wait until I get the right buyer who knows and appreciates the value of what I am selling. I try to keep things at my cost in terms of pricing. I see other listings that way over price their "upgrades."

Here are my current offerings:

http://richmond.craigslist.org/search/msa?query=804.986.2830

Last edited:
I don't know about electrics, but with acoustics I see fairly reasonable used prices except for "vintage" instruments, like when someone tries to sell a 1960's Harmony acoustic for $2000. :zoinks:

I'm also seeing prices a bit high in the Chicago and Milwaukee/Racine markets. But when you sell something, people still hit you with the same insulting offers.

Back