Is anybody not buying the Gunslinger?

Are you buying a Gunslinger?

• Total voters
I bought it. Thanks Chad! I figured I couldn't go wrong for $30 and the more I look at it, the more I think it is going to work out great. It seems to have a wide range of gain offerings which is perfect. I actually don't pay attention very well so I wouldn't have even know if Chad hadn't pointed it out.

I'm generally not a pedal guy, I don't like a lot of cables but this could solve my specific problem. I was going to say it is my first pedal but I did have a tuner pedal at one point, not sure if that counts but I do have a DigiTech Trio+. And for some reason it seems like I had a delay or looper pedal of some sort for a short time too. Getting old means ...................... hell, I don't remember.

I bought it. Thanks Chad! I figured I couldn't go wrong for $30 and the more I look at it, the more I think it is going to work out great. It seems to have a wide range of gain offerings which is perfect. I actually don't pay attention very well so I wouldn't have even know if Chad hadn't pointed it out.

I'm generally not a pedal guy, I don't like a lot of cables but this could solve my specific problem. I was going to say it is my first pedal but I did have a tuner pedal at one point, not sure if that counts but I do have a DigiTech Trio+. And for some reason it seems like I had a delay or looper pedal of some sort for a short time too. Getting old means ...................... hell, I don't remember.

I got mine on Monday. I've only had about 20 minutes with it at bedroom levels. But here's what:

It's a high gain pedal at 9v. You may get some better crunchy tones at 12v, which it will accept, but I don't have a 12v adaptor. Anyway the sweet spot starts at noon on the dial. Under that, and it's mush city. If you want a mid gain tone, roll back your guitar's volume knob. The EQ is active with fixed mids. So you can cut or boost bass and treble.

Ultimately, it sounds like Snailface in a box. Which, IMO, is awesome. YMMV.

I got mine on Monday. I've only had about 20 minutes with it at bedroom levels. But here's what:

It's a high gain pedal at 9v. You may get some better crunchy tones at 12v, which it will accept, but I don't have a 12v adaptor. Anyway the sweet spot starts at noon on the dial. Under that, and it's mush city. If you want a mid gain tone, roll back your guitar's volume knob. The EQ is active with fixed mids. So you can cut or boost bass and treble.

Sounds like it is going to work great. My clean isn't really very clean and I use the controls on my guitar a lot. I like that the pedal has the treble and bass control as well. I watched a few reviews and had thought that for me it will be a matter of setting it up and leaving it using my guitar volume for variation. Unless it just hates my amp or something, I think it will work perfect for what I want. And if not, I sell it after the holidays.

I should not have come in here. Ordered, but not expected to ship until 11/29. I figure it'll be a Christmas present from the Mrs. anyway. For $34 shipped, why not?

Edit: I may have gotten the last one at that price...on Reverb anyway. Now the cheapest one is showing $49.99. :shrug:

Last edited:

Ultimately, it sounds like Snailface in a box. Which, IMO, is awesome. YMMV.

I can live with that. I've never heard of Snailface, that song is pretty cool.

Yeah, I don't see flipping it for less than what they're selling for now...but ya never know.

The Gunslinger is competing with my old MI Audio Tube Zone, which cost about $150 when I bought it 10 years ago. If you paid $50 a few months from now, it'd still be worth it.

I'm going to pass on this. I'm guessing it won't do much that my RAT, Keeley DS-1, or MXR Distortion+ won't do.

Interesting thing about that. The Gunslinger is a juiced up DOD 250 with a MOSFET gain stage. The Distortion+ is nearly identical to the 250, but it uses germanium transistors instead of silicon ones. The RAT and DS-1 are both further tweaks of the same circuit the 250 and D+ are derived from. In my limited time with the Gunslinger, it stays more amp like, where the others fuzz out at high gain. Which makes sense given the MOSFET.

Interesting thing about that. The Gunslinger is a juiced up DOD 250 with a MOSFET gain stage. The Distortion+ is nearly identical to the 250, but it uses germanium transistors instead of silicon ones. The RAT and DS-1 are both further tweaks of the same circuit the 250 and D+ are derived from. In my limited time with the Gunslinger, it stays more amp like, where the others fuzz out at high gain. Which makes sense given the MOSFET.
Seems the demo videos I've been able to find are all with humbuckers. Have you tried it with single coils? If so, how is it?

Back