Iridium Flare Time Lapse

aliensporebomb

Fretted instrument fan
Okay, it's a 20 second time lapse and the first 10 seconds are two views of planes flying over, a short segment of the constellation Orion and then finally the Iridium flare in the last 5 or so - you can see it flying to the right of Orion (upper right of screen) - it starts dim, flares to a point then exits towards the bottom left.'

20 seconds of your time:

This site shows ISS passes, Iridium Flare timings, Hubble Space Telescope flyovers and much more. Iridium flares are very local. A -6 magnitude flare at your location may be almost invisable 60 miles away. The brightest are really cool. Timed to the second for your locale, you can impress your astronomically challenged friends by taking them out at night and saying "look there right now" as a very bright flash occurs where and when "you" predicted. Everyone should go out at least once to watch an ISS flyover......VERY cool and visible from the most light polluted skies.

http://www.heavens-above.com/

Awesome. I have vivid memories of the first time I was looking through a telescope and one of those Iridium sats crossed the eyepiece and flashed. I had no idea what I was seeing.

Very cool! Yeah, the first time I saw an Iridium flare I thought it was some kind of UFO. Then I realized "Ah, I get it. Iridium sat flare..."

Ah I bet that's what I saw several months ago. A very bright light that was there and gone in a flash. I thought I might have just looked up to see an airplane turn off it's landing lights but couldn't see the other nav lights. I wondered what I saw for a long time

We really should have a more active Astronomy interest here......

We have the folks.
We have some cool equipment.
I mean, even across the board......we have enough to do it.

GAS should be replaced by TAS, LAS, FAS, or even MAS!

Bonus points if you can get those!!!!

Back