iPad and Garageband

Johnny N.

Kick Henry Jackassowski
I did a search and it has been mentioned a bit from time to time but I'm wondering if it is possible to use an iPad with Garageband and do simple recording. I'm not good enough to worry about studio quality nor do I have the time to learn Reaper well enough to really get high level stuff. I just want to be able to create a drum track, record a guitar track or two, bass, and some vocals. Maybe use the virtual instruments to add to it after that. I see people using it so I imagine it can be done but I am wondering how.

My specific questions would be, what is a good, affordable interface for a guitar and maybe a mic? And how does it all get stored?

Also, is it a decent set up to use just for playing or practicing. I use a Digitech RP355 currently but if it is a matter of plugging into an iPad and calling up an amp, I could just do that.

Any and all help appreciated.

My wife has Garageband on her iPad, but I've never used it. I would assume it works the same way as it does on a Mac.

i use Garageband on my iPhone and on my Mac. the iPad app is more iPhone than Mac. the full computer version has more options and you can use pretty much any interface you'd like. with the iPhone, i just use an iRig, which i got for like $15. i'd consider upgrading to the new version which uses the lightning port.

My situation is, my plan was to continue to use my Toshiba laptop for recording but the display just died. I previously dropped it on the tile and simultaneously spilled a glass of water on it. :embarrassed: I have since determined this is not good for your computer screen.

So, I dont want to buy a new laptop because we just bought a desktop and I cant afford a macbook or iMac. I won an iPod something or other in the weight loss contest so I was going to trade it in toward the iPad. Just wanted to make sure it was at least usable. I have the iPhone too so I suppose I could use that too. I saw that the app is a scaled back version but that is probably fine with me. I want to keep it as simple as I can. I honestly just want it for practice and recording for the purpose of getting better. I might also like to use recordings for backing for fishing videos I want to make. Simple stuff.

Is the iPhone version the same as the iPad version? Or will I need to buy it again if I get an iPad. Not a huge deal. Just wondering.

I snagged the iRig for $15 and it is a pretty cool little deal but the free software is pretty bad. No big deal either because I got it for the Garageband.

Back