Interresting bit of info about john petrucci and the guitar industry...

It might just be that people really like the Petrucci sig even if they don’t care about Petrucci. The PRS Tremonti is wildly popular with metal players who can’t stand Creed or Alter Bridge. Likewise, I doubt most of the metal players who buy a Duncan JB pickup ever listen to Jeff Beck.

This. I really can't stand Dream Theatre but I've had 3 Petruccis. They're just killer guitars.

I'd imagine a good portion of those might not be paid endorsements as much as free gear or discounts on gear (which you, like the IRS, could argue that barter is another form of payment). Mesa is well known for not paying any artists but instead offer discounts on equipment as the deal. Either way, I'd imagine JP is probably at or near the top of the heap in name recognition if you're looking for a currently active endorsing artist relationship & that has to translate to value is some way.

From what I understand the vast majority of artist endorsement deals these days are just discounted gear things. I'd imagine guys with good selling sig guitars would get a few but I remember seeing even Jeff Becks tech in a Rig Rundown mentioning how two of the four JB strats they had on the road had to be returned to Fender when they were done with the tour.

I honestly couldn't tell you if I have ever heard a Dream Theater song, but his latest guitars could be some of the worst looking instruments I have ever seen. His original model wasn't bad, but these last 2 are terrible. I wonder if his sales will go down because of these.
Agreed. With the exception of John guitar I've never seen one in the wild. I've seen tons of EC and EJ Strats and boatloads of JEMs. I'd like to see the stats, I don't buy this for a second.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed. With the exception of John guitar I've never seen one in the wild. I've seen tons of EC and EJ Strats and boatloads of JEMs. I'd like to see the stats, I don't buy this for a second.

They sell. Any band who considers themselves prog usually has one guitarist with a JP. Unfortunately, I've not heard one band with said guitarist I actually want to listen to. I'm sure they say the same about me and my PRS.

From what I understand the vast majority of artist endorsement deals these days are just discounted gear things. I'd imagine guys with good selling sig guitars would get a few but I remember seeing even Jeff Becks tech in a Rig Rundown mentioning how two of the four JB strats they had on the road had to be returned to Fender when they were done with the tour.
This is very true.

They sell. Any band who considers themselves prog usually has one guitarist with a JP. Unfortunately, I've not heard one band with said guitarist I actually want to listen to. I'm sure they say the same about me and my PRS.
I don't doubt they sell, I just don't think they out sell JEMs and the other common sig models. Just think of how many Clapton Stats are out there.

Back