Interesting thing I've noticed about guitar demos...

jaxn slim

Your Worst Nightmare
There is a sweet spot for the level of playing in a guitar demo. If the playing is too bad, you don't get an idea of what the guitar can do. If the playing is too good, it distracts from the actual sound of the instrument and also intimidates me away from feeling worthy of the instrument.

Ever experience anything like that?

12471774_575848812563601_5990560253197495628_o.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/user/fluff191

There is a sweet spot for the level of playing in a guitar demo. If the playing is too bad, you don't get an idea of what the guitar can do. If the playing is too good, it distracts from the actual sound of the instrument and also intimidates me away from feeling worthy of the instrument.

well, certain guys (Pete Thorn and Mike Hermans for example) do such a good job of using the gear and recording it that I know it will sound good but I will get a very different result in real life. Not better or worse, but I know the video doesn't tell me what it will actually sound like in my hands. Bad playing will just cause me to turn the video off. Same with out of tune guitars.

well, certain guys (Pete Thorn and Mike Hermans for example) do such a good job of using the gear and recording it that I know it will sound good but I will get a very different result in real life. Not better or worse, but I know the video doesn't tell me what it will actually sound like in my hands. Bad playing will just cause me to turn the video off. Same with out of tune guitars.
I've noticed this, too. The thing that's new to me is being intimidated away from gear because I don't feel worthy after seeing what someone else does with it.

I'm generally so relieved when they finally shut the fuck up about it and start playing that an open E through a Fender Frontman sounds good.

P

ecerytime I watch you play

P

ecerytime I watch you play

I find some of the amateur demos on YT more valuable than the pros because if you sample a bunch of them, you can get a pretty good idea of how the gear is going to sound in a typical rig. Pro demos are generally better at demonstrating key features.

While I enjoy the high production values, great playing and studio quality sound of some of the pro demos, they are kinda the HDR version of reality w/r/t what your experience with the gear may be.

That vid never ceases to amaze me. Hiland is killin'it and people are walking around like he isn't even playing.

Back