Interesting night tonight.

frunobulax

Gak Pernah Cukup!
Going to see Martin Barre tonight with a bunch of friends from high school, most of whom I have not seen in 40 years.

On the plus side, they are guys I genuinely liked and hung out with back them.

And it's Martin Barre!

Martin is purely mesmerizing to watch and hear. So criminally underappreciated. I hope you have a great time.

Sent from Crab Nebulae via reverse engineered alien technology

Wow.

First impression - for a 70-year old man, Martin Barre does NOT mail it in. He was on fire. And it certainly looked like he was enjoying himself immensely, just out playing in a small club.

Band was good and tight, and got the job done. They also looked to be having a ball, and seemed acutely aware of who the star of the show was. They were definitely functioning as a band, but still stayed out of Barre's way.

Show was VERY Tull heavy. And everything he plays sounds like Tull regardless.

Non-Tull played - a couple of songs from Martin's new record. Blues based guitar rock. They played two Beatles songs, Elanor Rigby (terrific, extremely Tulled-up version) and I Want You. They also did Robert Johnson's Crossroads during which he played mandolin. It sounded like acoustic Tull. He just can't help it.

Tull played - Cry You A Song, Minstrel in the Gallery, Sweet Dream, Teacher, New Day Yesterday, My Love (slowed down, very cool), Sealion, a long excerpt of the second half of Thick as a Brick that was worth the price of admission alone, and closed with Locomotive Breath. (There might have been one more old one). The overall weight of the show towards got me thinking - was he playing what people came to hear, or was he laying claim to his legacy as a creator of the Tull sound? I think the latter. The cover choices, the arrangements, the sound, I think this is what comes out when Martin Barre plays. The essence of Tull was over everything.

Obligatory gear report - he played a PRS through a Soldano head and a small Marshall cab. Sounded great, exactly as he has always sounded.

Final thoughts - sometimes one goes to see gods in their twilight and cannot help but be disappointed. Not the case here. He was fantastic, he was working hard, his playing is as terrific as ever. He looked like he still feels that making a loud rock'n'roll noise is the best thing ever.

Get tix now.

image.jpeg
I went all fanboi after show as well. Said hi, shook his hand, and got this

I see he's coming to Yoshi's in Oakland this September. I'll keep my eyes open for when tix go on sale...

@Guitar Heel, @Chad Monday, May 1 at Rams Head Annapolis. Gotta get into the office tomorrow and double-check my schedule, but I'm prolly gonna try and hit this show.

Hey, @frunobulax! Setlist.fm shows him playing Blackest Eyes by Porcupine Tree. Did that really happen?!?

Unless it is Sat or Sun nights, shows in Baltimore or Annapolis are usually a no go for me. I gotta pick the kids up from school so the earliest I can get moving is 4:30. I think it would take 492 hours to get there leaving at that time :grin:

He played a Govt Mule set 2 or 3 years ago when I first saw him that got me straight into the Mule. And a Robert Johnson cover of Crossroad Blues on mandolin.

Back