Instructional DVDs

AdamLopez

Telewacker
I'm building up quite the collection as someone pointed out. I really just dig watching them whether the guitar is in hand or not.

I'm curious as to other people's favorite instructional DVDs and what you liked/disliked about any of them.

Discuss Gus or get off the bus messedup0

I don't really have much in the way of instructional DVD's but there is a Robben Ford one that I would love to get:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGhiRie4V_k"]YouTube- The Robben Ford Clinic - Mixing Jazz Chords w/ Blues[/ame]

I do have a bunch of snippets from videos that I've found over the years that I live. Probably my favorite are the Eric Johnson DVD's.....

I've found good things about most of the ones I own or have watched. However, I think it's safe to assume that had I not already reached a certain level, a lot of the instruction would have been lost on me because quite frankly, a lot of these players don't make for good teachers.

I sort of had to get good at reading between the lines and deciphering their poor explanations. I actually LIKE that though as I tend to understand things better for it in the end.

That being said, I just picked up Paul Pigat's Rockabilly DVD. Paul is a monster player and surprisingly a great teacher. Highly recommended.
He also has a Travis picking video and a jazz video.

Some favs are the Danny Gatton vids, especially his out of print Licks and Tricks video, Joe Pass' Solo Jazz Guitar, Arlen Roth's Masters of the Telecaster, among many others...

Best bluegrasser ever: Clarence White.

I just saw on Netflix last night by chance that he has an instructional vid that he made in like '73.

I'm pretty new to this stuff....I have a Tony Rice book and CD (he never plays anything the same twice :lol:) and a couple of other lesser known guys (at least to me). The best thing would be if I had a gig to learn and play the music for.

I'm pretty new to this stuff....I have a Tony Rice book and CD (he never plays anything the same twice :lol:) and a couple of other lesser known guys (at least to me). The best thing would be if I had a gig to learn and play the music for.

it's easy. everything in G in the open/1st position. flatpick. go fast. done. don't fergit the open strings.

see? it's a cinch :helper:

My boss wanted to get his kid an Esteban kit for chrimbo. Guitar and all. After the massive facepalm, I told him to buy the guitar from a shop, and buy the DVD lessons from the bookstore for 40 bucks. At least he will get a better instrument, and in that I feel I have succeeded.

My boss wanted to get his kid an Esteban kit for chrimbo. Guitar and all. After the massive facepalm, I told him to buy the guitar from a shop, and buy the DVD lessons from the bookstore for 40 bucks. At least he will get a better instrument, and in that I feel I have succeeded.

I guess it still depends on the actual dvd he ends up with, but as for the guitar itself, surely you done him right :wink:

We've had a handful of those damn guitars come thru our store and they are so poorly made, it's really sad. People think they have a nice instrument and they're so proud of the deal they got, but these people know NOTHING about what it should really be. It's a bummer when the end up needing repair or work and you have to tell them that they're not worth the cost to repair. :-\

The Scott Henderson Jazz-Rock Mastery is my fav. It moves ahead very quickly, and I can imagine beginners would be very frustrated by it, but I love it. It's the kind of material you can work on for years to come. He's kind of just opening the doors for you, but you'll have to woodshed for a while to keep up. Lots of great ideas and material for jazz/rock/fusion/improvisation guys. Highly recommended.

it's easy. everything in G in the open/1st position. flatpick. go fast. done. don't fergit the open strings.

see? it's a cinch :helper:

I wish.

I gave it a try last night on my gig. Instead of sounding like Bryan Sutton I sounded like Mick Mars after a stroke. :facepalm:

I guess it still depends on the actual dvd he ends up with, but as for the guitar itself, surely you done him right :wink:

We've had a handful of those damn guitars come thru our store and they are so poorly made, it's really sad. People think they have a nice instrument and they're so proud of the deal they got, but these people know NOTHING about what it should really be. It's a bummer when the end up needing repair or work and you have to tell them that they're not worth the cost to repair. :-\
I've seen a couple of the Esteban guitars IRL. The tops look like a fun-house mirror.

The Scott Henderson Jazz-Rock Mastery is my fav. It moves ahead very quickly, and I can imagine beginners would be very frustrated by it, but I love it. It's the kind of material you can work on for years to come. He's kind of just opening the doors for you, but you'll have to woodshed for a while to keep up. Lots of great ideas and material for jazz/rock/fusion/improvisation guys. Highly recommended.

Thats one I think I would dig, too. I'm a pretty big Scott Henderson fan...

After a weekend with Paul Pigat's "Rockabilly Guitar" video, I have to say I'm quite impressed. Highly recommended for anyone in the Rockabilly/Western Swing/Chuck Berry/Country veins.

Bob Brozman DVDs pack a lot of info. He just doesn't show you how to play a lick, but gives you info, background and theory to study way after the DVD has finished playing.

Arlen Roth is like that too. I just picked up The Art of Soloing and it's a good foundation for this intermediate level player. (Mark... they're some good clips of him playing with Danny Gatton).

After a weekend with Paul Pigat's "Rockabilly Guitar" video, I have to say I'm quite impressed. Highly recommended for anyone in the Rockabilly/Western Swing/Chuck Berry/Country veins.

You can read my review of this DVD in the link below :thu:

I've got the 2 VHS vids he did back in the 80s. I think the DVD you are referencing might be those 2 combined.

In any case, it's great. Great concepts and some awesome playing. :thu:

A couple of my favorites:

Blues guitar w/Ronnie Earl - great blues progressions and nuggets in there.

Accelerate your guitar playing - Tomo Fujita - pretty much a;; exercises, great for your timing and rhythm.

I had lots of the Arlen Roth "Hot Licks" VHS tapes from way back. Most of the "stars" weren't very good teachers, but I loved to watch 'em play. :thu:

I had lots of the Arlen Roth "Hot Licks" VHS tapes from way back. Most of the "stars" weren't very good teachers, but I loved to watch 'em play. :thu:

fwiw - a good chunk of these "hot licks" tapes have been converted to dvd's and are available via netflix.

Who has the tabs for Danny Gatton's "licks and tricks" video?? I can't believe they don't have this video for sale anymore...anyone who can help me out it would be greatly appreciated thanks!

Back