Inexpensive (not cheap) 4-channel headphone amplifier?

GilmourD

Eater of Worlds
Staff member
What do you guys use when you're recording for headphone amps when you're recording? I'm looking for something with at least 4 headphone outs that won't be terribly noisy. I hear there's an ART one for $65ish that's not too bad, but I was wondering if there was something decent for a little bit less.

When I wanted in-ears monitors to protect our hearing, as the band practiced in my basement, I originally got a Live Wire 4 channel headphone amp. I think it was about $49 at the time.
71VZ%2BG67CDL._SY355_.jpg

It was good, but not great (with occasional complaints from bandmates). We added a 5th band member, so I needed something bigger, and I went with the ART Headamp6 - 6 channel headphone amplifier.
headamp6_back_front.jpg

It was $149 (and still is), but there was a huge difference in quality - and not a single complaint from bandmates. I would be careful that you don't go too cheap if you are wanting something for recording.

When I wanted in-ears monitors to protect our hearing, as the band practiced in my basement, I originally got a Live Wire 4 channel headphone amp. I think it was about $49 at the time.
71VZ%2BG67CDL._SY355_.jpg

It was good, but not great (with occasional complaints from bandmates). We added a 5th band member, so I needed something bigger, and I went with the ART Headamp6 - 6 channel headphone amplifier.
headamp6_back_front.jpg

It was $149 (and still is), but there was a huge difference in quality - and not a single complaint from bandmates. I would be careful that you don't go too cheap if you are wanting something for recording.
Yeah, I don't want to go too cheap, which is why I'm avoiding the Behringer one for $25, but there's no reason a simple headphone amp should cost more than my quality 4-input USB interface, ya know?

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

Damn, that's $130 new!

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

GC used is your friend. Not quick, need to check every day, vast majority of their stuff, it just doesn't make sense to buy used for what you can buy the same thing for new but, if you are religious in checking, there are bargains.

Is it noisy at all?

GC used is your friend. Not quick, need to check every day, vast majority of their stuff, it just doesn't make sense to buy used for what you can buy the same thing for new but, if you are religious in checking, there are bargains.
I checked out the link you PM'd me and the shipping makes it more expensive than other similar options that have free shipping. It doesn't seem to add anything that the other options for less don't have.

It doesn't seem to add anything that the other options for less don't have.

One thing I really like, which I didn't even understand before I got it, it controls the speakers too. Don't know what you have, in my case, having a volume knob that's not on the back of the speakers, or in your DAW is nice. The mute button "turns speakers on/off".

Really like the 1/4", AND 1/8" outputs on the one you are getting. That's handy.

One thing I really like, which I didn't even understand before I got it, it controls the speakers too. Don't know what you have, in my case, having a volume knob that's not on the back of the speakers, or in your DAW is nice. The mute button "turns speakers on/off".

Really like the 1/4", AND 1/8" outputs on the one you are getting. That's handy.
Sadly, right now, I don't even have monitors. That's the next thing to save up for.

Back