Inexpensive lighting setup help

cvogue

Yes, that's Oolong. :)
We're looking to finally invest in some lighting for the band. Just something very basic to begin with, LED based would be preferable but we're also looking for something on the cheap (of course!) initially.

Suggestions? Is buying used lighting gear a risky venture?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Start out with how ever many of these fit into your budget ($99 each).

mega-tripar-profile.jpg

If you're doing a small set, you put one of these on each side of the stage, on the floor and shine them sideways. A couple more on the back wall and you set them to fade-scroll through the rainbow. Done, simple, no fancy controller. They look great.

You can mount a few on a tree with the same effect... you can plug them into a simple 4 channel DMX controller ($50) and press the button pertaining to the color you want, no brainer.

chauvet-obey-3-rental.jpg

I usually set the back wall to use the controller (or master slave so they all change together) and then leave the side washes to change on their own. We put another LED par underneath the drummer's kit.

We use something similar that has a sound activated "changer". Two of them, one mounted on each PA speaker from the flying point works for most bar gigs...

Those same lights do have sound cycling, but you have to watch the sensitivity... otherwise they're blinking like crazy on one song and doing diddly squat on another.

Those same lights do have sound cycling, but you have to watch the sensitivity... otherwise they're blinking like crazy on one song and doing diddly squat on another.
I need to find the ones that Dom owns...they work really well on their own.

Start out with how ever many of these fit into your budget ($99 each).

mega-tripar-profile.jpg

If you're doing a small set, you put one of these on each side of the stage, on the floor and shine them sideways. A couple more on the back wall and you set them to fade-scroll through the rainbow. Done, simple, no fancy controller. They look great.

You can mount a few on a tree with the same effect... you can plug them into a simple 4 channel DMX controller ($50) and press the button pertaining to the color you want, no brainer.

chauvet-obey-3-rental.jpg

I usually set the back wall to use the controller (or master slave so they all change together) and then leave the side washes to change on their own. We put another LED par underneath the drummer's kit.

Cool thanks, what's the brand name on the light?

:hmm:

I wonder if Kaitlin and I would look too cheesy with something like that. Some of the venues we play have lights set up for us already, but having a few options would be nice since we're starting to book some more independent gigs.

Kerouac, when we do the coffee-house type sets where it's more low key and they have their own atmosphere, I use this pair of unobtrusive lights along the back wall, and master-slave them with an XLR between them.

Picture is huge... triangle lights fit in the palm of your hand.

WEDGE-TRI.jpg

Kerouac, when we do the coffee-house type sets where it's more low key and they have their own atmosphere, I use this pair of unobtrusive lights along the back wall, and master-slave them with an XLR between them.

Picture is huge... triangle lights fit in the palm of your hand.

WEDGE-TRI.jpg

Yeah, that would definitely fit the bill!

Back