Inexpensive compressors?

cvogue

Yes, that's Oolong. :)
So I got some birthday money and I ordered a Behringer Reverb/Delay pedal but it's on backorder.

Thinking about canceling that order and trying a compressor. Never used one before but it seems like it will beef things up, smooth things out and give more sustain.

Any suggestions for compressors around 50 bucks. There's a mini Mooer one (Yellow) that sounds pretty good in the videos. Wondering about how much it improves the sustain though. Also looking at the TC Electronics Forcefield compressor, a bit more but it has an attack control... but the videos aren't doing it for me, maybe I'm missing something but it doesn't seem to have the "mojo"

Are compressors mainly for clean playing though? Was thinking the increase in sustain would help with distroted leads as well.

Other ideas to help me spend my money?! :cool:

I use mine for clean and semi clean sounds. My crunch sounds have enough compression built into them and they disappear onstage with any more added.

image.jpg

So I got some birthday money and I ordered a Behringer Reverb/Delay pedal but it's on backorder.

Thinking about canceling that order and trying a compressor. Never used one before but it seems like it will beef things up, smooth things out and give more sustain.

Any suggestions for compressors around 50 bucks. There's a mini Mooer one (Yellow) that sounds pretty good in the videos. Wondering about how much it improves the sustain though. Also looking at the TC Electronics Forcefield compressor, a bit more but it has an attack control... but the videos aren't doing it for me, maybe I'm missing something but it doesn't seem to have the "mojo"

Are compressors mainly for clean playing though? Was thinking the increase in sustain would help with distroted leads as well.

With a good compressor sustain in front of your dirt you can nail a Vito Bratta tone if you want, but beware of noise at really high gain sounds.

You can find the DOD Compressor for $40 new. The new cheap TC pedals are rebranded/rehoused Behringers. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but you should at least know what you're getting.

I have a modified Dyna Ross that I want to get rid of... $40 shipped would do it

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

You can find the DOD Compressor for $40 new. The new cheap TC pedals are rebranded/rehoused Behringers. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but you should at least know what you're getting.

I bought the DOD comp for cheap and it sounds nice for crisp, jangly cleans.

I know it’s on the clean arpeggio-type parts on this cut.

https://hauntedhare.bandcamp.com/track/w-r-t-2

And maybe on some other parts. I played all the guitars on this track, but I’m not entirely certain what boxes I was running outside of the clean jangly thing.

That part is a strat into a boutique Vox AC30 copy.

Got the pedal yesterday and fired it up through a headphone amp today. I'm impressed, it sounds really good in that simple application. Gives more "oomph" and a lot more sustain on the clean settings. Dirty settings there's some increase in sustain but it's not as much.

Can't wait to try it out at band on Tuesday!

It's a subtle change, but I definitely notice it. Just makes things sound better, missed it when I turned it off. Supposedly like the Sonic Maximizers are supposed to do (had a Sonic Stomp and was better off without it) only the Mooer actually *does* make it sound better! Probably a "leave it on all the time" kind of pedal.

Well... sigh...

Played the compressor at band practice tonight with full rig. Sadly it didn't sound very good. Left it on all practice and was tweaking it, but at the end of practice I turned it off and just the basic rig (only effect on was MXR 10 band EQ) into the Splawn sounded better, quite a bit better.

The Mooer mojo may work well with some amps but the Splawn didn't like it. I'll keep it and see if I can use it for special purpose stuff (controlled feedback at lower volumes... that it did really well). But it's definitely not something I'll leave on all the time.

It did add some noise which I expected but the overall tone to be richer like with my cheaper amps but it didn't do that, just colored it in a way that wasn't so great with this rig.

Bit bummed but live and learn.

Last edited:
Should bought baby love. cop0

(honestly - i don't know if you would have had the same issue)

Well... sigh...

Played the compressor at band practice tonight with full rig. Sadly it didn't sound very good. Left it on all practice and was tweaking it, but at the end of practice I turned it off and just the basic rig (only effect on was MXR 10 band EQ) into the Splawn sounded better, quite a bit better.

The Mooer mojo may work well with some amps but the Splawn didn't like it. I'll keep it and see if I can use it for special purpose stuff (controlled feedback at lower volumes... that it did really well). But it's definitely not something I'll leave on all the time.

It did add some noise which I expected but the overall tone to be richer like with my cheaper amps but it didn't do that, just colored it in a way that wasn't so great with this rig.

Bit bummed but live and learn.
I would think that the Splawn probably doesn’t need all that much “help”. I’ve never played one but I would think it wouldn’t benefit as much from an “always on” compressor.

I would think that the Splawn probably doesn’t need all that much “help”. I’ve never played one but I would think it wouldn’t benefit as much from an “always on” compressor.

I agree... the Street Rod does just fine on it's own. I'll keep the compressor just to see if I can make use of it going forward but... yeah... it doesn't do much for me at this point

Edit - one thing it did really well is get me controlled feedback. A guest guitarist had some Digitech (I think) feedback pedal and for 40 bucks I was able to do basically the same thing with the Mooer. If nothing else I can use it for that.

Last edited:
I agree... the Street Rod does just fine on it's own. I'll keep the compressor just to see if I can make use of it going forward but... yeah... it doesn't do much for me at this point

Edit - one thing it did really well is get me controlled feedback. A guest guitarist had some Digitech (I think) feedback pedal and for 40 bucks I was able to do basically the same thing with the Mooer. If nothing else I can use it for that.
I would probably just use it for clean parts that you want to stand out.

Back