Indian food

I had a green card bearing Indian roommate in DC that I went with to a couple indian restaurants. He said they were authentic.

Of course, it was DC and I found that most restaurants didn't feel the need to anglicize things in order to get customers. Some do, but they don't have to.

Like all "ethnic" food in the US, the average stuff is very americanized, and generally very americanized versions of specific regional cuisines that are only a fraction of the sort of thing you can find in those countries (i.e., what bsman said). "Indian" is americanized north indian, "mexican" is americanized far northern mexican food, "chinese" is americanized cantonese/guangdong-style food.

That said, you can generally find pretty authentic versions in a city with a large enough population of immigrants from a country. (in practical terms that generally means only in the largest cities)

I tend to avoid Indian restaurants. A lot of the dishes have tumeric in them, and to me that spice tastes unpleasantly bitter. I can taste tiny amounts of it and it is just awful to me. I think I have some weird genetic mutation in some taste bud gene. If I'm forced to go I ear naan bread and try to pick out something that isn't orange/yellow. There are plenty of dishes where tumeric it isn't really used, but I don't like thinking about what I am going to eat before I eat it.

I tend to avoid Indian restaurants. A lot of the dishes have tumeric in them, and to me that spice tastes unpleasantly bitter. I can taste tiny amounts of it and it is just awful to me. I think I have some weird genetic mutation in some taste bud gene. If I'm forced to go I ear naan bread and try to pick out something that isn't orange/yellow. There are plenty of dishes where tumeric it isn't really used, but I don't like thinking about what I am going to eat before I eat it.
I am that way with cilantro.
I avoid Mexican food for that reason.

That’s sad. Turmeric is good for you.

Plausible though, too much tastes bitter to anyone. I was taught that if you are doubling a recipe, don’t double the turmeric, do 1.5x.

I went to a Hindu wedding last night. Huge spread of food buffet style. A good friends daughter married an Indian guy.
It was my first time eating Indian food.
I have no idea what I ate but it was mostly vegetarian and delicious. A lot of it was hot but not all.
Loved all the different spices.

I’ve never tried Indian food but it is something I’m curious about. Several new Indian restaurants have opened up in my area recently.
I have a absolutely idea where to start with Indian food. (I.E. what is a good “beginner” dish)

Find a local joint with a well regarded lunch buffet and start sampling. You'll find something you like.

Middle Eastern food is also worth looking into. Mostly vegetarian and delicious.

Back