Indian food

Jbird

Kick Henry Jackassowski
Is the Indian food we get here in the states in Indian restaurants real Indian food? Or has it been Anglicized?

We all know that our Mexican restaurants don't serve real Mexican, nor do our Chinese buffets serve real Chinese food. But is the Indian food authentic?

Anyone here ever been to India?

(eating a delicious chicken Korma as I ponder this)

We have some friends from India. When they're in town we take them to a place here in Phoenix. It's their favorite place here, so we go there when we want real Indian food.

Italian food is Anglicided.
When order at an Indian restaurant I ask them to make it like they would want it.

It all depends on the restaurant. I’m lucky enough to live in a place with multiple authentic Indian/Nepali places. What I really miss is good Afghani food, which I haven’t been able to get since I left Virginia.

You can do authentic Indian yourself at home. Madhur Jaffrey has written some wonderful Indian cookbooks. You might have to order the spices. Most Indian food is easy to make, but it can be time consuming.

I had a friend from northern India. One thing I remember him saying is that the first time he heard of "curry" was when he went to a Thai restaurant. He seemed satisfied with some of the Indian restaurants in and around NYC. He also claimed to be impressed with my Dal, which was a Madhur Jeffrey recipe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a friend from northern India. One thing I remember him saying is that the first time he heard of "curry" was when he went to a Thai restaurant. He seemed satisfied with some of the Indian restaurants in and around NYC. He also claimed to be impressed with my Dal, which was a Madhur Jeffrey recipe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All I know is that it is my favorite cuisine. I also know my local Indian restaurant back in Maryland used to love when Carol and I came in as we ordered vegetarian. He felt that was the ideal.

I also know that I have to travel at least 45 minutes to get Indian food where I live. :(

I’ve never tried Indian food but it is something I’m curious about. Several new Indian restaurants have opened up in my area recently.
I have a absolutely idea where to start with Indian food. (I.E. what is a good “beginner” dish)

I’ve never tried Indian food but it is something I’m curious about. Several new Indian restaurants have opened up in my area recently.
I have a absolutely idea where to start with Indian food. (I.E. what is a good “beginner” dish)
Chicken Tikka Masala

Most of the places I go will ask how spicy you want the dish. I’ll say, as spicy as you can, extra extra spicy.
I always like how they’ll hover around the table after they bring it out to see if I can eat it and leave a little dissapointed when I don’t freak out.

or Korma (chicken korma, lamb korma, etc.)

It uses a creamy, somewhat sweet sauce. I think it's delicious, some people think it's too sweet idn_smilie You can usually order it mild, medium, or hot too, but the sauce will still be at least somewhat sweet even if it's hot/spicy.

The very intial precept shows a very limited, shall I say patronizing view of India’s cultures. If an Indian person said “Is the European cuisine authentic” what would you think about that? There are so many regional and ethnic variations in Indian cooking it boggles the mind. Here in the Bay Area, I can choose from a wide variety of South Indian, North Indian, Nepali, etc. restaurants of varying prices and quality. We have a pretty large Indian population here, and perhaps unlike Great Britain, where the term “Indian food” has been bastardized to refer only to fiery South Indian curries, Indian cuisine here has retained it’s full range of regional distinctiveness.

Back