Incredible footage of Mt Everest avalanche. Some language, so NSFW

it seems to me that here are definite times in life when one should turn off the fucking phone.

I think the guy who actually got hit by the Avalanche was using a wearable camera. If it was a phone you’d see it swinging around in his hands. In the second video the camera is stationary, and I bet the mountaineers were too busy shitting themselves to turn it off.

Watching these videos makes me wonder what’s worse—being up the mountain with the snow falling around you, or at base camp when all the snow on the peaks around you is inevitably coming your way.

A young lady that I have known since she was a little girl was at Base Camp Everest. She walked out. She is now at the US Embassy and will fly home Saturday. Google Danielle Banks for more. We were all over the place this last weekend not knowing if she was alive or dead. Her sister used social media and found her. Her Mom (my Ex GF) got her back to the embassy. Today I am gonna have a few drinks and decompress.

A young lady that I have known since she was a little girl was at Base Camp Everest. She walked out. She is now at the US Embassy and will fly home Saturday. Google Danielle Banks for more. We were all over the place this last weekend not knowing if she was alive or dead. Her sister used social media and found her. Her Mom (my Ex GF) got her back to the embassy. Today I am gonna have a few drinks and decompress.

Whoa! Glad she is OK!

I met an aloof sort of dude one time. I figured that he just didn't have anything in common with the group of people who we were socializing with. I am a very open-minded person who finds many different things interesting for varying reasons - like many people are. This guy mentioned how he was training to do an Everest thing.

I said something along the lines of "wow, that's a pretty rare thing. Do you plan on doing any presentations to groups or students about your experience?". His reply was "I don't like to talk about my accomplishments".

I don't think I ever spoke to him again after that. I just thought that he was a dick and the chick who was hanging out with him was only hanging out with him because he had a lot of coin (but he thought that she was attracted to him-HA!! everyone who knew her, knew better.).

You know the mountain is dangerous but nobody expected this kind of danger.

Terrible situation in Nepal across the board.

it costs $40,000 to climb everest
plus years of training/condish
i could buy a shitton of teles with that money

I was watching the documentary about last years avalanche that killed 12 Sherpas that happened to be airing at the same time news reports of this avalanche were airing. Kinda spooky.

it costs $40,000 to climb everest
plus years of training/condish

Interestingly, Everest is actually one of the cheaper mountains. I think they make it expensive because it’s so popular with wealthy tourists. You can do some much harder and for more remote mountains for a third of what Everest costs. Of course you only have a 60–70% chance of making it back from those!

But Everest no longer requires years of training and conditioning. Permanent cables have been installed so that sherpas can haul foolish and unqualified rich people to the top of the mountain. Talk to mountaineers and they’ll tell you about people whose first real climb was Everest, or groups of Korean tourists taking photos near the peak. Most of the people who die on Everest today die on the way down from the peak, because they start using their oxygen tank too soon, run out before leaving the death zone, and make a big mistake.

Back