Dig it! Incoming toy this week...

Found an Eastman F for $350 about an hour and a half away.
http://houston.craigslist.org/msg/4449470021.html
00101_bvvDy5eND93_600x450.jpg

Got here this morning. Chicago Music Exchange does a KILLER job of packing, even for an instrument in a hard shell case.

Took a little while to tune up... Picking a single string at a time is even more finicky than on the Glissentar, but once I did I just dived in. Making some of the chord shapes are difficult for my fingers since the frets are so close together, but I picked out a couple of songs and riffs quickly. This is going to be a blast! :cool:

Sent from none of your fuckin' business!

It's a great little mandolin for sure, especially at $350.

I'm having some issues with cleanly fretting the first and second frets and I'm trying to figure out if it's my fretting technique or if it's the set-up. Action is low without buzzing throughout, but I don't know enough about a proper mandolin set-up to say if it's a proper one or not. CME has a 40 point inspection on it, but I think in a few weeks I might try to take it to Will Kimble.

Loosen everything but the two outside most strings (the G and E) and try raising the bridge slightly. Counter-intuitively, higher action can sometimes make it easier to fret cleanly below the fifth fret.

While they're loose get out a tuner and check your intonation at the 12th fret. If the octave E and/or G's are sharp, nudge the bridge slightly toward the tailpiece - toward the fretboard if they're flat. A little bit of fussing here can make a huge difference in your tone, because... pitch! But also because string height effects bridge pressure to the soundboard. A little added tension can really bring out the tonez.

You probably know all of this already.
Anyway, belated congrats on the NMD, Andy. :thumbs:

Last edited:
Reactions: Tig
Back