Dig it! Incoming toy this week...

Kerouac

weird musical dildo
I've been hunting for a mandolin for over a year, with a pretty serious search in the last six months. After seeing Nickel Creek last week and writing some new material for Kicking Up Cinders, I decided it was finally time to take the plunge. Over the weekend I checked a lot of classifieds, Amazon, local stores etc, before finding this on Reverb (via Chicago :embarrassed: Music Exchange). Asking price was $600, I countered at $325, and we agreed on $350, w/ free shipping. New they seem to go for about $800-850, and $600 is about normal on the used market, so I'm very pleased. Here's a teaser pic:

y5mso913qubjji33rk07.jpg
pbk9cjptmxcb9pte9wro.jpg

pdafaqunkpmljkitwdpo.jpg

Now I need to learn how to play it. :embarrassed: @Modern Saint or @Denverdave... any book or DVD recommendations?

I just used a chord chart and dived into songs. A rarity was also hitting You Tube. The hardest part on the Mandolin for me was chords and technique. Please note that a Mando pic is much different from a guitar pic. Also I picked a bluegrass book, well traded with TGK03. Wanted to learn some standards as well.

helluva deal, congrats!

that's something I've always kinda wanted to learn...but not enough to actually buy one. :embarrassed:

that whole "upside-down from guitar" thing is really what has kept me from trying one...my brain just doesn't work that way

I just used a chord chart and dived into songs. A rarity was also hitting You Tube. The hardest part on the Mandolin for me was chords and technique. Please note that a Mando pic is much different from a guitar pic. Also I picked a bluegrass book, well traded with TGK03. Wanted to learn some standards as well.

I use smaller picks for lead work anyway, so that's not going to be an issue. Developing a decent tremolo across two strings? Time to bust out the metronome. I'm going to check out the Jim Richter book for iPad, as it has interactive lessons. There's also a Mandolin Camp over in Bloomington, IN that I might go to if I can come up with the scratch. the camp itself isn't bad, but it's going to cost me about the same amount for hotel and food while I'm there.

I use smaller picks for lead work anyway, so that's not going to be an issue. Developing a decent tremolo across two strings? Time to bust out the metronome. I'm going to check out the Jim Richter book for iPad, as it has interactive lessons. There's also a Mandolin Camp over in Bloomington, IN that I might go to if I can come up with the scratch. the camp itself isn't bad, but it's going to cost me about the same amount for hotel and food while I'm there.

Actually the pics are larger and thicker

That is a killer price for an Eastman........ans a sweet looking Mando. I just got a chord chart and watched a few youtube videos and went to town. You are gonna love that!

THAT is sweet! I love the finishes Eastman puts on their instruments, especially that smokey dark burst. It is sexy hot.
As for playing it? Buy David Grisman's "Hot Dawg" cd and learn it note for note. You'll be good in no time.Totally_jammin_out

UGH! I've got mando GAS now after researching those. Damn you.

Last edited:
I love it! I've been thinking about a mandolin but can't afford annoying I like. That's a great deal.

Been listening to these gals lately.

THAT is sweet! I love the finishes Eastman puts on their instruments, especially that smokey dark burst. It is sexy hot.
As for playing it? Buy David Grisman's "Hot Dawg" cd and learn it note for note. You'll be good in no time.Totally_jammin_out

UGH! I've got mando GAS now after researching those. Damn you.

I passed on a Breedlove USA a few months ago that was right around $800. I wish I hadn't, but this one will definitely get the job done and get me playing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I sorta remember back in the day in Cincy there was this bluegrass band named Terry and the Midnight Ramblers (or something like that) Terry was the mando playa and could flat out pick. Don't know what became of them, but they were sh@t hot for a while.

Last edited:
wow, I had no idea that they got so pricey.

I mean, it shouldn't surprise me, I guess, but it's just not something I ever thought about.
I never thought they'd go over $300-400...

okay, 5 mins...too long

but the title alone says enough.

likeI said, I shouldn't be shocked (I mean, I have some 4" action figures I've paid over $200US+ shipping for), but for whatever reason, I just didn't think mandos got like that.
I guess maybe cuz they are smaller than guitars?!?
I dunno...
just not something I ever really thought about, I guess

I passed on a Breedlove USA a few months ago that was right around $800. I wish I hadn't, but this one will definitely get the job done and get me playing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
You got one hell of a deal on the Eastman A. I started looking and they go used at $475 and then waaay up (for an F type) and not nearly as nice as yours.
Breedloves don't make me drool like Eastmans. Geetars or mandos.

Back