Incoming Toobz!

BoomBoomBigelow

Genius of Love
Just got a UPS from Antique Electronics Supply!
An 83 rectifier tube for my 'Black Beast', a 40W 6L6, a 1940's vintage PA amp which I Ebuy'd from somebody in Vancouver and converted to something in the vicinity of something like a Fender Bassman, I think.
It was 8 years ago. I think the 83 was hosed in the household move 1.5 years ago.
Pics are in order, because this tube has an awesome UV glow. Maybe some vids, cause this thing is awesome loud and squealy and the neighbors need annoying.
Gonna have to re-up my Photobucket account. It that still even a thing? Maybe a Yootube.
AND...I got a 9-pin socket for the preamp in another conversion. A Hammond organ AO35 reverb amp converted to a clone of, allegedly, the Dr. Z Carmen Ghia. 2 knobs: Volume and Toan.

Don't know when I'll get to any of this, but the future's so bright, I gotta wear shades.

At least UPS didn't throw the package over the fence and piss on my door. As far as I know.

HNTsD

Youtube? Yes, yes, yes.

Photobucket is NOT still a thing. 1) It's faster to just upload them straight to the forum. 2) You have to listen to Guitar Heel bitch about they have Photobucket blocked where he works. :grin:

HNTsD

Youtube? Yes, yes, yes.

Photobucket is NOT still a thing. 1) It's faster to just upload them straight to the forum. 2) You have to listen to Guitar Heel bitch about they have Photobucket blocked where he works. :grin:
It's just that I had uploaded a bunch of pics there when I was doing the work. idn_smilie

Bob, I think angry tele was referring to photobucket. But yeah, Antique tube's site is weird.
Anyway...Update! I got the tube and plugged it in and fired it up and got total disapoint and weak sauce.
Turns out the rectifier tube I bought was an 83v. It kinda worked but at half the power. :facepalm:
So after doing my research--like I shoulda done in the first place--I have bought an actual 83 off of fleabay from a dude in Canada. It should be here any day.
Here's the amp with the original 83 next to the smaller wimpy-ass 83v. The pre tubes are 6sj7 pentodes by the way. Boy was that a learning experience figuring those out!

IMG_20150315_110859.jpg

I originally bought it for the giant chickenhead knobs. In addition to the PT and the OT, the other 3 hunks of iron are chokes. All labeled Hammond and made in Canada.
IIRC, the small knob is a master volume, and the next is preamp gain. I also wired outputs for 4,8, and 16 Ohms.
So, anyday now...

Umm, I had blueprinted it sometime ago and it's somewhere in recovered hard drive files, but the first two are pentode 6sj7's, the next a 6n7, which I think is a recovery amp from the James/Baxendall-ish tone stack, and the last is a 6f6 as a phase inverter into the power tubes. I now know way too much about semi-obsolete technology.

Back