"Inappropriate" songs.

I remember being in a music store and a woman was buying the guitar music book for the album Blood Sugar Sex Magik for her daughter. The salesman was thoughtful enough to point out it had some vulgarity to it which the mother originally brushed off. But when the salesman suggest she read the lyrics in the book, it was a good five minutes of...."oh my!"..."oh dear!'..."goodness!"..."oh!"...etc. Despite being flustered, she bought it anyway.

What a stupid thing for the salesman/cashier to do. Let the kid get the book. The music is good and that's what she's looking to learn. The lyrics she already knows or she wouldn't want to learn the songs.

Homeschooling is actually a great way to educate your children. Unfortunately the folks that do it tend to lean heavily conservative Christian and are often doing it because they don't want their children de-religioused and (stereotypically) the mother doesn't work and needs something to do to feel fulfilled. But this isn't always the case.

I'll argue the homeschooling point all day long except for rare cases where there are no suitable schools available and the parents are properly trained.

My wife is an elementary school teacher with her masters and is still continuing training and new developmental studies. Combine that with the lack of social interaction that the homeschooled kids get and I really struggle to find any but the rarest cases where the home schooled child gets even an equivalent education.

My sister is a licensed teacher and was forced to home school some of her kids due to military family moving around and those kids have definite strengths and weaknesses based on which subjects are HER strengths.

Reactions: Tig
I have real issues with religious music. Horribly derivative and the lyrics are the worst. The best songs I've ever heard about God and/or with religious lean are from bands/artists like Queen, Bob Marley, DMB, Lennon, XTC, Joan Osborne, The Hooters, Ziggy Marley, U2, and others. David Bazan's Strange Negotiations has him yelling at God and it's great.

Uptight folks suck. Music transcends beliefs and should never be dictated by them...except for Green Day, they really suck.

I'll argue the homeschooling point all day long except for rare cases where there are no suitable schools available and the parents are properly trained.

My wife is an elementary school teacher with her masters and is still continuing training and new developmental studies. Combine that with the lack of social interaction that the homeschooled kids get and I really struggle to find any but the rarest cases where the home schooled child gets even an equivalent education.

My sister is a licensed teacher and was forced to home school some of her kids due to military family moving around and those kids have definite strengths and weaknesses based on which subjects are HER strengths.

There have been countless studies regarding the information learned (not getting into the social aspect) and home schooled kids are vastly more academically adept that the average public school student. My wife also has a masters in education and has been teaching elementary school for 15 years, so I'm certainly not against traditional classroom based education. I know we also couldn't afford to home school our kids.

Many families that home school have multiple children, often within just a few years of each other and they get plenty of social interaction. They meet with other home schooled children and develop rather well socially, just without all of the crap that one faces in a traditional public school setting. I find myself more concerned with the still sheltered lifestyle and way of thinking. Lack of exposure to new and different ideas, varied ethnicities and beliefs. The "real" world will be a shock, but in some cases they never really leave their little communities.

Nope. Nickelback is really marginal and not even noteworthy. Green Day is far more pervasive, sucky, and therefore dangerous to the musical nourishment of current and future generations. Men in eyeliner are almost always a terrible idea (barring Bowie, Reed, and I think Freddie early on). Kirk Hammet is a good example.:thu:

If those are my two choices, you'd better shoot me
Actually the Nickelback stuff they don't play on the radio isn't bad. Unfortunately the Clearchannel empire doesn't want us to listen to good music, so they have to put out some shit to get airplay.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

There is plenty of horrible derivative music in pretty much every genre, so that is not isolated to one particular sector of music. and there are great artists/bands in every genre. Unfortunately, radio does not play most of them so a lot of the casual listening public's impressions of genres we only occasionally hear is usually the horrible derivative stuff that the record companies push.

I find myself more concerned with the still sheltered lifestyle and way of thinking. Lack of exposure to new and different ideas, varied ethnicities and beliefs. The "real" world will be a shock, but in some cases they never really leave their little communities.

This is of great concern. What a home schooled kid doesn't learn, reality and the streets will teach and very quickly, possibly violently. We teach our kids street smarts. Head on a swivel, but not paranoia.

It never ceases to amaze me how many adults miss spotting potentially dangerous situations and characters. It happens constantly. Oblivion kills.

There is plenty of horrible derivative music in pretty much every genre, so that is not isolated to one particular sector of music. and there are great artists/bands in every genre. Unfortunately, radio does not play most of them so a lot of the casual listening public's impressions of genres we only occasionally hear is usually the horrible derivative stuff that the record companies push.

Yes, but modern religious music is super reactive to sounding like what's popular at the time. Oh, kids like the Katy Perry so let's record some Katy Perry like tunes, but with lyrics exalting the lord. I actually love Jars of Clay, but they are an incredibly rare exception within the realm of Christian music. And lyrics are generally what draws me to music, but they can turn me off pretty quickly. Anything preachy is a turn off.

I've quoted this before, but the modern musician and songwriter are subject to Mr. DeGarmo's quote regarding the best most folks can strive for is "to be as uniquely derivative as possible". Most music either happens to or seeks to avoid this. And even with Jars of Clay, I'm guessing having Adrian Belew work on Flood was a huge part of the uniqueness recipe. I think when Christian music in particular succeeds, it is largely by accident and is rarely replicated. The subtleties of language are lost on most of those bible thumpers that make music. There are, however, TONS of great artists that are very devout in their religious beliefs and speak to them to some level in their music, but they don't beat you over the head with it. Others still never get into their faith at all in their music, but it's hugely influential to their lives and they'll admit to its part in their creative process. Even folks that various churches wouldn't "have", like Freddie Mercury.

Then of course, there's King's X. If any band with overt or even not so overt leanings towards faith in their music had a chance of getting to me think about God, it's King's X. Great music, wonderful lyrics, exceptional singing and playing. They could sing about beating kittens and eating puppies and I'd have a hard not enjoying it.

Actually the Nickelback stuff they don't play on the radio isn't bad. Unfortunately the Clearchannel empire doesn't want us to listen to good music, so they have to put out some shit to get airplay.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
I find myself agreeing with you on many topics, but Nickelback is horrible. I don't listen to the radio at all. I have my Itunes and Spotify to keep me going and I haven't missed the radio in years

I find myself agreeing with you on many topics, but Nickelback is horrible. I don't listen to the radio at all. I have my Itunes and Spotify to keep me going and I haven't missed the radio in years
These days if I'm not listening to CDs in my car (currently my CD with the entire Van Halen collection, minus III, in MP3 format that my car can play) I'm listening to SiriusXM. Somehow I live in the NY metro area and we don't have a real, acceptable hard rock station since K-Rock originally bit the dust and turned into a talk station.

So very much this. Once I got my first iPod, I was essentially done with radio. The one exception is WFUV out of NY that still plays a good mix of music, 99.999999999999999999999999% is not top 200, let alone top 40 material (although it's so awesome it should be, but it's not pablum for our sheepish masses). Also NPR, but that's not about music for the most part. It's amazing that I get exposed to more new stuff without radio. HC used to turn me on to stuff and now that happens here too...we have better taste than "regular" folks.

Last edited:
SiriusXM is teh awesome. I jump around from BB King's Bluesville to Little Steven's Underground Garage to Deep Tracks, etc., and occasionally Pearl Jam Radio, E Street Radio, Lithium, Real Jazz, Willie's Roadhouse, and classic R&B on Soul Town.

Back