In this thread you'll share your feelings about The Exorcist.

This was my experience with Scarface (admittedly not a horror film)...I didn't see it until just a few years ago and could not understand the big deal about it...

Scarface is just a shitty movie with some iconic moments. Pretty much a microcosm of De Palma's career.

This was my experience with Scarface (admittedly not a horror film)...I didn't see it until just a few years ago and could not understand the big deal about it...

Scarface is campy as shit and full of great scenes and one liners. It's a helluva fun movie, but not "good" in the sense of being a great movie.

I have a really hard time with a lot of DePalma's movies and I'm not a fan of Scarface at all.

I think people with faith and/or beliefs in some kind of higher power(s,) or barring that, even some kind of spirituality of any kind, are more prone to being scared by demonic horror movies.

Or with that upbringing. My mother is very secular, but can't deal with stuff like The Exorcist or The Omen; she got that from her mother. Mom is just weird, though; she was a surgeon, but she can't bear to see the sight of fake blood in movies or television, she always covers her eyes.

Read the book. Didn't see the movie till it came out on cable.
I thought it was pretty good. I usually don't go in for horror movies unless they are camp/funny but the Exorcist is an exception. Not super scary but suspenseful.

Or with that upbringing. My mother is very secular, but can't deal with stuff like The Exorcist or The Omen; she got that from her mother. Mom is just weird, though; she was a surgeon, but she can't bear to see the sight of fake blood in movies or television, she always covers her eyes.

My mom is a lazy church-goer, like a handful of times every few years, but is at core religious. She gets freaked by The Exorcist (and says she doesn't like it) but still watches it and other such horror movies when they come on. I was at their house maybe two weeks ago and she was watching Rosemary's Baby on TV.

Peculiar about the blood. I don't mind it on fictional movies but I can sometimes be weirded out by those surgical TV shows where they demonstrate procedures, which I would have to assume doesn't bother her.

Based on the tone of some of the posts in the thread, going to stay out of this one other than to say that I said it already in the other thread.

I enjoy The Exorcist for what it is. I don't think it's funny, I think it's well made horror. That said I don't have to posture as being "macho" to say it isn't at all scary to me. It is not. It was when I was a child, as were even campy horror movies that I love now for their humor and gore. I don't believe in anything paranormal or supernatural, ergo demons even in a fantasy setting don't move me.

When I watch TE (lazy abbreviations!) I see a little girl in makeup and some well done for the time special effects.

I think people with faith and/or beliefs in some kind of higher power(s,) or barring that, even some kind of spirituality of any kind, are more prone to being scared by demonic horror movies.

I can respect that. I'm an atheist so those issues don't really enter into it. But by the same token I have no problem with suspension of disbelief with The Exorcist.

I think mostly it's just that it works for me as a drama with horror elements as opposed to being a horror movie with elements of drama. I admire the craft and I think it's a fun story.

I can respect that. I'm an atheist so those issues don't really enter into it. But by the same token I have no problem with suspension of disbelief with The Exorcist.

I think mostly it's just that it works for me as a drama with horror elements as opposed to being a horror movie with elements of drama. I admire the craft and I think it's a fun story.

I think that the major problem with contemporary horror films is that they're impatient. Go back a couple of decades, and you'll see that they take a good third of the movie establishing character and making us care before they start butchering. Likewise, the headcounts tend to be much lower.

I think that the major problem with contemporary horror films is that they're impatient. Go back a couple of decades, and you'll see that they take a good third of the movie establishing character and making us care before they start butchering. Likewise, the headcounts tend to be much lower.
Hitchcock.

Watching an old copy with faults in the film that can be seen on the screen in an old theater can be terrifying. The suspense and build up, the low tech film, it all combines, at least in the hands of someone who knows how.

Watching an old copy with faults in the film that can be seen on the screen in an old theater can be terrifying. The suspense and build up, the low tech film, it all combines, at least in the hands of someone who knows how.

This is one of the same reasons why I'll defend The Blair Witch Project.

I'll give them credit for that, but I'll give them credit for one of the best marketing jobs of all-time...

But I'll also give them credit for being a shitty movie and for creating a subgenre that helped ruin the genre.

I can never understand why that movie needs defending...other than the purposefully shaky camera work it was damn near the best I've ever seen...

To fully appreciate The Exorcist you must watch the director's cut in a packed theater tripping on magic mushrooms. Hope this helps.

To fully appreciate The Exorcist you must watch the director's cut in a packed theater tripping on magic mushrooms. Hope this helps.

Horror movies, like comedies, are usually most effective in a crowded theater.

No comment on the other bit.

Scarface is just a shitty movie with some iconic moments. Pretty much a microcosm of De Palma's career.

Being so young, I don't think you understand the full impact and cultural scope of Scarface. It took an Italian actor with a bad Cuban accent to make Cubans cool again.

"I never fucked anybody over in my life didn't have it coming to them. You got that? All I have in this world is my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one. Do you understand? That piece of shit up there, I never liked him, I never trusted him. For all I know he had me set up and had my friend Angel Fernandez killed. But that's history. I'm here, he's not. Do you wanna go on with me, you say it. You don't, then you make a move."

Back