In this thread you'll share your feelings about The Exorcist.

I can't tell if you're goofing around or being serious here, because this is exactly the sort of criticism that gets thrown at this movie and I don't understand it. There are thousands of ludicrous movies out there, but no one ever mentions those.

When I hear the "it's stupid, it's funny, etc." comments it usually sounds to me like the viewer feels he's got to shrug off some challenge to his masculinity or something — "Naw Bro, that's not the scariest movie EVAR — I laughed through the whole thing."

So what's that about?
He's quoting "Beetlejuice"...

One of the the few films that I consider to to scary. There are really only a couple of movies that are actually scary, most horror films are dumb, predictable, and not frightening in the least. The exceptions to this rule for me are:

-The Exorcist

-Event Horizon

-Alien
I would add "Jaws" to that list, at least on reaction to initial viewing...

I would add "Jaws" to that list, at least on reaction to initial viewing...
I suppose. I guess since sharks are real things I never thing of Jaws in the same way as the others I mentioned. I probably should though. Jaws, never really frightened me since i'm not afraid of sharks for the most part.

Nicholson was so fucking good in Five Easy Pieces, The Last Detail, Chinatown...

Damn Cuckoo's Nest ruined everything. Though he has done some good work since then.

One of the the few films that I consider to to scary. There are really only a couple of movies that are actually scary, most horror films are dumb, predictable, and not frightening in the least. The exceptions to this rule for me are:

-The Exorcist

-Event Horizon

-Alien

This. :baimun:

The Omen now theres a great movie. the exorcist? cant stop laughing when she backwards crab walks down the stairs OMG lol
I was gonna mention the Omen too. The first one was damn scarey and suspenseful. That scene where the maid hangs herself.... still chills me thinking about it.

Unless you believe in demons and/or exorcisms, there really isn't anything there to take issue with, unless you're looking for something to take issue with. :shrug:
Yes, sure if we substituted the words Jewish, or Muslims for Catholic and liberals for conservatives you would have the same opinion.

I need to remember to defer to you super smart guys so I know which groups it's ok to classify as crackpots or kooks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, sure if we substituted the words Jewish, or Muslims for Catholic and liberals for conservatives you would have the same opinion.

I need to remember to defer to you super smart guys so I know which groups it's ok to classify as crackpots or kooks.

The word "conservative" was used within the context of the Catholic Church. This past week, in Catholocism, the mainstream conversation was about the church becoming more welcoming of homps exuals. So "conservative" was fair use.

Exorcism is assault, plain and simple, and especially draconian in that it targets the mentally ill. Anyone - regardless of race, religion, or political views - who supports or condones that shit deserves harsh criticism. I'd be happy to condemn the practice of female genital mutilation, I'd be happy to criticize Saudi Arabia's human rights record.

It's not that complicated.

Last edited:
Maybe it is because I didn't see the movie until the mid 90s, but I didn't really like it. I think it has been like a bunch of movies I have seen, a ton of hype so I was expecting the greatest movie of all time. I think had I had seen it in the early 80s before hearing it was the greatest horror movie of all time, I would have had a different opinion on it. It wasn't scary at all. I will say that my friends and I used to go to the stairs from the movie and fall down them all the time just for fun.

Maybe it is because I didn't see the movie until the mid 90s, but I didn't really like it. I think it has been like a bunch of movies I have seen, a ton of hype so I was expecting the greatest movie of all time. I think had I had seen it in the early 80s before hearing it was the greatest horror movie of all time, I would have had a different opinion on it. It wasn't scary at all. I will say that my friends and I used to go to the stairs from the movie and fall down them all the time just for fun.

The whole stair-climbing that wasn't in the original release, it was added for a theatrical rerelease in the late-90s or early-00s.

Dumb And Dumber was one scary movie..

My daughter called me from her university the other day to let me know that Dumb And Dumber To, is being released in November. She wants for us and her sister to make a day of it. Dinner,movie,laughs,sleep over,etc.....Can't wait...

I'm not serious about D&D being scary,but didn't think it warranted its own thread

Maybe it is because I didn't see the movie until the mid 90s, but I didn't really like it. I think it has been like a bunch of movies I have seen, a ton of hype so I was expecting the greatest movie of all time. I think had I had seen it in the early 80s before hearing it was the greatest horror movie of all time, I would have had a different opinion on it.
This was my experience with Scarface (admittedly not a horror film)...I didn't see it until just a few years ago and could not understand the big deal about it...

I can't tell if you're goofing around or being serious here, because this is exactly the sort of criticism that gets thrown at this movie and I don't understand it. There are thousands of ludicrous movies out there, but no one ever mentions those.

When I hear the "it's stupid, it's funny, etc." comments it usually sounds to me like the viewer feels he's got to shrug off some challenge to his masculinity or something — "Naw Bro, that's not the scariest movie EVAR — I laughed through the whole thing."

So what's that about?

I enjoy The Exorcist for what it is. I don't think it's funny, I think it's well made horror. That said I don't have to posture as being "macho" to say it isn't at all scary to me. It is not. It was when I was a child, as were even campy horror movies that I love now for their humor and gore. I don't believe in anything paranormal or supernatural, ergo demons even in a fantasy setting don't move me.

When I watch TE (lazy abbreviations!) I see a little girl in makeup and some well done for the time special effects.

I think people with faith and/or beliefs in some kind of higher power(s,) or barring that, even some kind of spirituality of any kind, are more prone to being scared by demonic horror movies.

Back