In this thread you'll share your feelings about The Exorcist.

dmn23

Duller than cardboard
Someone mentioned The Exorcist here a few days ago, maybe Flamencology, and it seems to me this has always been a polarizing movie without much middle ground. No one is really 'meh' about it. Those who hate it often call it stupid, or not scary in the same way that Rosemary's Baby gets criticized for being silly.

I think those folks miss the point. I think it's a fantastic film that's held up extraordinarily well. The cinematography is gorgeous, the performances are great, the tension builds wonderfully, and it's still remarkably unsettling. Forty years later it's still a treat to watch and it's just as effective as it ever was.

Got an opinion?

I think it's still a well-made movie, although obviously society (and what it finds frightening) has changed a lot since the seventies.

But I do love the older horror movies, and that slow, creeping terror that the best of them do so well. For example, I don't think any movie has ever scared me as much as the original version of The Haunting (from the early 60's, yes?), but I'm fully aware that anyone under the age of 40 would call it "lame" because it doesn't feature any gore or CGI.

I think it's still a well-made movie, although obviously society (and what it finds frightening) has changed a lot since the seventies.

But I do love the older horror movies, and that slow, creeping terror that the best of them do so well. For example, I don't think any movie has ever scared me as much as the original version of The Haunting (from the early 60's, yes?), but I'm fully aware that anyone under the age of 40 would call it "lame" because it doesn't feature any gore or CGI.

It's one of my favorite devil movies. I was in high school when it came out and there was a lot of media attention given to it. People throwing up in the theaters, etc. I think a lot of horror movies borrow from it now. Poor Linda Blaire couldn't do anything since.

I read the book before seeing the movie and THAT was really freaky.

One of the the few films that I consider to to scary. There are really only a couple of movies that are actually scary, most horror films are dumb, predictable, and not frightening in the least. The exceptions to this rule for me are:

-The Exorcist

-Event Horizon

-Alien

Supposedly Jack Nicholson and Ryan O'Neal both auditioned for the part of Karras. Using Jason Miller instead was genius. The film would have fallen apart with a big, recognizable star.

It’s a fun horror movie, and it’s much better than most horror movies today. But it’s a lot less fun now that I’m older and I know William Peter Blatty is a kooky conservative Catholic crackpot who probably believes in demons and exorcisms.

I've seen it 147 times, and it keeps getting funnier, every single time I see it... come on!

I can't tell if you're goofing around or being serious here, because this is exactly the sort of criticism that gets thrown at this movie and I don't understand it. There are thousands of ludicrous movies out there, but no one ever mentions those.

When I hear the "it's stupid, it's funny, etc." comments it usually sounds to me like the viewer feels he's got to shrug off some challenge to his masculinity or something — "Naw Bro, that's not the scariest movie EVAR — I laughed through the whole thing."

So what's that about?

Back