In praise of the Fender Frontman

BEACHBUM

Margarine Advocate
A couple of months ago I picked up a Frontman 25R thinking it would be nice to have a headphone amp for late night practice. Yesterday my Son in Laws Dad dropped by and while we were doing a little jam session he mentioned that he wasn't happy with the 2W Roland Cube he'd been using. I brought out the 25R and he tried it with his Gretsch. The first thing he said was, "how much" ? I told him $99 and he said, "get in the truck, let's go get me one". We picked one up at GC and farted around with the two of them for the rest of the day. Yesterday I became a 25R fan. This morning, thinking about the extra Eminence Ragin Cajun I had sitting in my closet I swapped out the speaker and Oh my my.

Last edited:
I had the FM 212R and it was a decent amp. Very loud, very clean. No complaints.

I picked up an FM212R last year. I think it has a great clean sound. It won't kick my Peavey Classic 50 to the curb any time soon, but I like having it available.

It is a good SS practice amp, and will easily drive a 4x10 cab. Do not like the dirt channel much though.

It is a good SS practice amp, and will easily drive a 4x10 cab. Do not like the dirt channel much though.

Since the old man is mostly a Country player we didn't give the dirt channel much thought but we were lovin the cleans.

I have a 15R and I love it. The reverb sometimes picks up noise, but other than that it's pretty much perfect. Really nice tone when using a Strat.

Back