Impromptu smoke machine!

GilmourD

Eater of Worlds
Staff member
So, I played a gig last night, but I didn't use my cabinet but rather a 4x12 Tech21 cab that they provided. Now this cab is 8ohm rather than the 16ohm that my other two cabs are, so I flipped the amp (Bugera 1960 Infinium) to 8ohm and used the 8ohm tap on the Jettenuator. Mid way through the first song my Jettenuator starts to smoke but the amp didn't hiccup whatsoever, so after the song was done, I shut the amp off, disconnected the Jettenuator, and plugged straight into the cab. I did have to lower my volume a bit, which is OK since I use a clean base tone with my band, but it was definitely an AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGHHH moment. LOL

I got home and pulled apart the Jettenuator and I can't find the source of the smoke, except for MAYBE one wire that looked a little droopy, but it didn't feel melted or anything. There's not even smoke residue inside the thing (and it's painted white on the inside, so it would show), so I have no idea what was going on. I'm going to have to bring my rig over my brother's and have him play guitar while I have the thing open so I can see what's going on.

Fortunately, though, the amp itself performed like a champ. The sound guy didn't ask me to fiddle with my EQ at all like he did with the other acts. The only thing he told me to do was turn down the boost coming from my TC Spark Mini, which I had set for the Marshall TSL that's in the rehearsal space we use, but the 1960 has a good deal more headroom.

Lesson learned here... Use my own damn stuff. LOL

When in doubt, aliens always aliens.
Well, some aliens kept things working afterwards.

11403073_810454105739148_7424717186524633843_n.jpg

Back