I'm thinking barbecue for this weekend

tiger roach

Urban Bovine Knievel
1. RIBS - if I can find beef ribs I will do those for a change. Otherwise some good ol' St. Louis pork ribs.
2. PULLED PORK - already smoked, just need to thaw it out and it will be mind-blowingly delicious. Some with vinegar sauce, some with Texas-style sauce.
3. HOMEMADE BUNS - for pulled pork sandwiches
4. BEER well that goes without saying

Sides are to be named later, but likely candidates:
a. Slaw - kind of mandatory for the pulled pork sandwiches
b. macaroni salad
c. beans

Anyone else firing up the grill this weekend?

BBQ is pretty much always the right answer for weekend cooking! One of the worst things about being in an apartment right now......no grill. Eat some ribs for me!

Wow. *buuurp*

For the first time, I wrapped the ribs in foil for the last half of the cooking time. Big difference! They stayed plump n' juicy even though I let them get fall-off-the-bone done. (Which by current standards is too done, but I'm going to save that discussion for another thread). Definitely the best ribs I have done.

Plenty of leftovers too, since it was just the two of us.

Reactions: Tig
Thick cut pork chops on the grill last night
Burgers tonight
Brisket tomorrow for sandwiches this upcoming week....Weisse beer brined w/ a mole style rub, hitting the smoke tomorrow (brewed the Weisse the other week)
Grilled Lamb chops for dinner tomorrow night.

The Texas Cheat!

Yosemite-Sam-warner-brothers-animation-30976315-800-766.jpg

The Texas Cheat!

Actually I think I haven't tried this yet because it does seem like an extra step that I shouldn't have to take. I like to just put stuff on the smoker and then pull out amazing chow hours later.

In this case though the results were dramatically better, so I think I will keep doing this, cheat or not. :)

Actually I think I haven't tried this yet because it does seem like an extra step that I shouldn't have to take. I like to just put stuff on the smoker and then pull out amazing chow hours later.

In this case though the results were dramatically better, so I think I will keep doing this, cheat or not. :)
I think the BBQ Pit Boys endorse that method. Not really cheating, just keeping that good ole meat happy and moist.

Ribs sound good. I think I found a winning recipe. Five hrs. Put em on at ~275-350°F, with about 2 parts cherry to one part hickory or pecan wood chunks, let the fire go to 225°F for the 5 hr. duration, then cook in oven at 350°C for 30-60 min. Perfection. Sauce on the side. Want to try the Carolina style vinegar sauce next.

Question: What is your favorite bun for pulled pork? I think so far Thomas' English Muffin Whole Grain has been my fave. Want to try sourdough bread though. So many options.

I need to get better about using the grill. I walk by it every time I go to the garage fridge. We have an awesome butcher in town. I sure as hell don't want to heat up the house more than necessary :ack:

Question: What is your favorite bun for pulled pork? I think so far Thomas' English Muffin Whole Grain has been my fave. Want to try sourdough bread though. So many options.

These are easy and tasty w/ pork and slaw
http://bakingbites.com/2008/04/soft-yogurt-sandwich-rolls/

I've always heard it called a 'crutch', and never heard of it with ribs. Usually I associate it with pork shoulder.

Yeah, I do it my shoulders and sometimes ribs and brisket too.

I need to get better about using the grill. I walk by it every time I go to the garage fridge. We have an awesome butcher in town. I sure as hell don't want to heat up the house more than necessary :ack:

I hardly use the oven in the summer...the grill is going most nights of the week.

Back