I'm thinking about getting a 7-string…Recommendations?

My hands are too small for a 7 string. If I needed to go that low, I would just up the string gauge on my 6 string and tune low.

On the higher end of "not to pricey" this is looking like a pretty sweet axe:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/APEX20/

APEX20-xlarge.jpg

If you want a trem (but don't want to fuck with a Floyd) the Sterling Petruccis are pretty cool:

SB13508-front-large.jpg

If you want an extended scale (26-27") instrument your only choice right now without spending $1k plus is Schecter.

If you're not a member, I'd recommend signing up for SevenString.org and checking out their classifieds.

If you like chunky necks, go with a Schecter. If you live or die with uber thin, then Ibanez, since with the exception of the AFJ957 hollowbody, and the ARZ Les Paul Copies, they all have the Wizard neck profile. Another thing to consider, is do you want an extended scale length (26.5" or longer). The higher string tension a longer scale length will give you keeps the 7th string tauter, and punchier sounding. Unfortunately (and I can confirm this from first hand experience, with a 26.5" scale Schecter Omen Extreme 7 I used to have), it also makes the higher strings sound a little screechy.

Me, I prefer the chunkier necked Schecters.

Agile sell very reasonably priced multi-scale 7-stringers I have heard nothing but good things about

I owned a sterling petrucci 7 string for a while. Great playing and sounding guitar. I've also owned a few ibanez universe and rg7's. All great stuff

Also, try to score a used Carvin. Outstanding value for the price.

Summer of 666
Cookie monster vocals;

I got my real first 7 string stole it at the 5 and dime
played until my fingers bled, just as Satan commanded
it was the summer of 666

I snagged one of these Schecters in excellent shape off CL a while back pretty cheap. I'll probably add a tone pot, otherwise a very nice guitar once setup properly.

I got my son a cheap Jay Turser 7 from CL - actually pretty solid with new electronics and setup.

Watch Guitar Center's used site - there are some pretty good deals go through as the market for 7's isn't that big.

Back