I'm slow, but catching on

Steverino

black sheep
You buy this little dongle thingy from Amazon, plug it into your car's OBDII port, download an app called Torque, and diagnose your car on the fly, in real time. RPM, speed, mileage, torque, horsepower, vacuum, coolant temp, etc. Too cool! Finally, this OBDII stuff is available to anyone with a smartphone and 30 bucks or so, not just mechanics who charge 85 bucks an hour plus a diagnostic fee.

Maybe you or Lexrst can explain the differences/upsides between this one (wifi) and the one I posted, which is bluetooth, I believe.

Different wireless protocols, that's all. Wi-fi is your typical home network. Bluetooth is lower powered making it good for wireless devices that depend on battery power.
I picked the ODB2 dongle above because it works for iPad while most of the others are Android specific.

Different wireless protocols, that's all. Wi-fi is your typical home network. Bluetooth is lower powered making it good for wireless devices that depend on battery power.
I picked the ODB2 dongle above because it works for iPad while most of the others are Android specific.

Okay, dumb question time: :embarrassed:

If I buy one that uses wifi, can I drive up and down the road with it to log data? My wifi won't get past the driveway, that's why I was thinking about the bluetooth version.

Okay, dumb question time: :embarrassed:

If I buy one that uses wifi, can I drive up and down the road with it to log data? My wifi won't get past the driveway, that's why I was thinking about the bluetooth version.

The wi-fy for the ODB2 wireless device is intended for a phone, laptop, or tablet in the car, not a system in your house (unless the car stays in the driveway). While I can "see" the wi-fy networks my next door neighbors use, I can't receive anything past that distance without a very serious antenna system.

The wi-fy for the ODB2 wireless device is intended for a phone, laptop, or tablet in the car, not a system in your house (unless the car stays in the driveway). While I can "see" the wi-fy networks my next door neighbors use, I can't receive anything past that distance without a very serious antenna system.
Okay, thanks. I have an Iphone, but can't find any OBDII dongle for iphone/ipad that was bluetooth instead of wifi. I do see quite a few android based dongles with bluetooth, and I have an android tablet, so I was going to go that route.

Okay, thanks. I have an Iphone, but can't find any OBDII dongle for iphone/ipad that was bluetooth instead of wifi. I do see quite a few android based dongles with bluetooth, and I have an android tablet, so I was going to go that route.

With wireless wi-fi, you don't need anything but the OBD2 scanner that plugs into your car and transmits to a device, like your iPhone. No wired dongle needed.
I ended up getting this one since it ships from Cali instead of China:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AOIM2CC/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Reactions: Tig
Here's a better video, and this guy uses a Motorola Xoom, which I have, so I may do something similar with the Torque Pro app.

I paid the 5 bux and installed the Torque Pro app on my Xoom (android) tablet. I also ordered a BAFX OBD2 scanner for $24 from Amazon.

Using tablet should be cool, the Torque app has a HUD setting. It displays everything backwards and you just set it on the dash. Can't wait!

Thanks Tig :)

Got the scanner, installed it and have been playing around with this setup. The information you enter, engine size, vehicle weight etc is critical (obviously) to get the right data. I'm impressed with the sensitivity of this thing, hardly any lag at all. When I hit the gas, the tach responds quickly, in about a second or so.

You can monitor just about anything, as long as your vehicle has a sensor for it. Today I'll be watching O2 voltages. The trick is to know what the factory specs are supposed to be, which I haven't got a handle on yet. There's a lot to learn, you just have to play with it. You can observe data in just about any form, gauges, graphs, etc. You can log a trip and then retrieve the data, or view a map that displays your driving habits (mpg) or send screenshots of data via email, twitter, or to your computer (haven't tried any of that yet).

You can purchase additional apps that accompany the Torque Pro, a camera logger, knock detector and others. Cool!

One thing though, my particular scanner is about 3" inches long. That could be an issue if your OBD2 port is close to your legs and feet, as the scanner (when plugged into the port) could stick out and interfere with your driving. There are other scanners that are quite a bit smaller, around 1".

Definitely worth the 25 bucks or so I've spent.

This is very cool. I think I will get the Bluetooth adapter so I can use my phone. I might even see if my Toshibe Thrive is supported by the Torque app. Thanks Steverino!

Got my scanner today but haven't installed an app for the iPad yet.

Did some research for iOS app's and OBD Fusion came out on top. Super easy to set up on the scanner's network using DHCP (an auto config thing) and it worked right away.

null_zpseebfd7be.jpg

Monitoring O2 sensor data Bank1 sensor1
What does this tell me? I have no idea other than it's working :embarrassed: :)

It looks like you've dipped your brush in the paint and globbed it on your tablet's screen.

Or you're running rich on bank 2.

Back