I'm putting my "Foundations for Guitar" notes out here in the public area for you....

Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member
I figured this might give you a little info on how things work for my "Foundations" lesson modules.

Howdy all!

Welcome to the first "Module" or chunk of my lesson series on learning how to play the Guitar in a complete and structured manner. The 13 lessons in this module are based on the first 45 or so pages of my book "Foundations for Guitar Book 1
ir
". My publishing options were limited to a "book only" format when I originally wrote the book and many people have commented that they wish it had a DVD or CD that went along with it. That's what these sections of the online school are all about...my opportunity to bring some video and audio to the book.

In this series of modules we'll be going through the core concepts of the book in a slightly re-arranged manner.

Module 1 covers basic time, rhythm and chord concepts. You'll be properly playing songs with eighth notes strums and understanding what you are doing by the end of the 13 lessons in this first module.

Module 2 expands things to Triplet and 16th note Rhythms as well as movable chord shapes and basic fretboard comprehension. There won't be too many songs that you can't play rhythm guitar on well by the end of this lesson. Notice that we still haven't start note reading yet.

Module 3 is about single note studies. Note reading, some basic scale theory, position studies, picking techniques, dynamics and whatnot. I'm hoping that teaching the material in this order will streamline the learning experience and for those folks who do not want to bother with note reading you can get by with just the first two modules. Just keep in mind that much of what makes music "musical" will be covered in this module.

My decision to go this route is more about marketing than anything else, I guess. I have always been something of a fascist about core values and note reading is one of them but the reality is that some folks just don't want to be bothered with it. I think this way I can cater to them (and hopefully they will figure out what they are missing by the end of module 2 and continue) but I'm not leaving out what I feel is vital to the students that actually do want to learn the instrument in a complete manner.

One benefit you should take advantage of in this format is that I am here to help you. During the period of time that you are subscribed for I will answer questions posted in this forum, correct your quizzes on the theory sections if you scan them and upload them and if you post audio clips or videos of yourself playing the exercises I can also give you feedback on that stuff.

You must work through this material with a metronome to fully benefit from it.

Let me repeat myself more emphatically.

[BLINK]YOU MUST WORK THROUGH THIS MATERIAL WITH A METRONOME!!![/BLINK]

You are wasting your time taking this method without the proper tools. You have all kinds of options from the free online metronome at http://metronomeonline.com/ to "real" metronomes to apps for your phone or iPod such as http://www.frozenape.com/Tempo2/Tempo2.html

In our studio I like to sell these to students since they are a great combination of low price and features:

<iframe src="http://rcm.amazon.com/e/cm?lt1=_blank&bc1=000000&IS2=1&bg1=FFFFFF&fc1=000000&lc1=0000FF&t=markweinguita-20&o=1&p=8&l=as4&m=amazon&f=ifr&asins=B0002E2O2Q" style="width:120px;height:240px;" scrolling="no" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" frameborder="0"></iframe>

No matter what you use, have your metronome going when you practice.

<iframe src="http://rcm.amazon.com/e/cm?lt1=_blank&bc1=000000&IS2=1&bg1=FFFFFF&fc1=000000&lc1=0000FF&t=markweinguita-20&o=1&p=8&l=as4&m=amazon&f=ifr&asins=061519883X" style="width:120px;height:240px;" scrolling="no" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" frameborder="0"></iframe>

You do not need to buy a copy of my book to do these lesson modules. What you need is included in each lesson along with the video and sound files if there are any. It doesn't hurt to have it as an additional reference since I cover things differently in the book version but it's not necessary.

Your access to each of these modules is 30 days for the subscription price. Please keep in mind that most students take 6-9 months to cover this material (all 3 modules) in lessons and I really don't expect anyone to bang out all 13 lessons in this module in 30 days. It's entirely possible but realize that you are building new motor skills and techniques that take a long time to turn into your own physical approach to the instrument. The $24.95 price for this lesson module is the same as one half hour lesson here in the studio or via webcam and the 13 lessons (in this module alone) would probably take 6-8 lessons to get through in person (or in economic terms $150-$200 worth of lessons). You might end up re-buying this module a few times since it really has 3 modules worth of lessons in it. Instead of doing ten 4 lesson modules for the book I've decided to do 3 divided up into a way that makes sense to how I like to present the information. If you can get through the information quickly it's cheaper in the long run for you but if we need to spend 2-3 months working on this stuff you still have access to me for help. :)

I'm also looking at possibly doing some live webinars for you guys as well. I can't promise that they will happen every month but if I am able to put one in my schedule I will and then you can ask questions live!

Back