I'm making my own Italian Beef

Jbird

Kick Henry Jackassowski
A guy I was in the Air Force with posted pics of him and his wife's home-made Italian beef sammiches, they looked really good so I asked for the recipie.

Crock Pot Italian Beef:

3 lbs. chuck roast, cut into 7-8 pieces and fat trimmed off.
1 packet of Good Seasons zesty Italian salad dressing mix
8 oz. of sliced pepperoncini peppers
8 oz. of giardiniera in oil (I could only find giardiniera in vinegar)
1 can (14.5 oz) beef broth

cook on low in crockpot for 9 hours, shred beef with a fork, mix into liquid, and cook on low for 1 more hour.

Hoagie buns, provolone cheese (if you want cheese), and more pepperoncini/ring peppers/giardiniera/sauteed onions, bell peppers, mushrooms (whatever you prefer).

It's cooking in the crockpot now, for when I get up this evening :)

Serving 'em wet or dry?

eating-als-beef-3.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

I love those damn things, but my shirts don't!

Crock pot makes a lot of sense -- I'm betting it's not terribly different than how it's made in those little hot-dog and beef joints in chi-town.

Giardiniera in oil is available from Amazon. It makes a difference. Anyway, it sounds like a good recipie. Let us know how it works out.

Giardiniera in oil is available from Amazon. It makes a difference. Anyway, it sounds like a good recipie. Let us know how it works out.

Giardiniera sounds very much like something I contracted during a field training exercise in the Idaho National Guard back in the 80s and gave me the shits for about six months...

Giardiniera sounds very much like something I contracted during a field training exercise in the Idaho National Guard back in the 80s and gave me the shits for about six months...
heh, that must have been Giardia (aka beaver fever)

Just ate the first sammich :)

It was tasty, but not really Chicago-style.

I think the chuck roast is still a bit too fatty. I think next time I will try to find a leaner cut of roast. Also next time I won't cook it with 8 oz. of giardiniera. I think I will still use the 8 oz. of pepperoncini, but I will sautee some onion and (maybe) some bell pepper and cook it with those instead. Add the giardiniera to the sandwich after cooking.

Still, it's not bad at all. Would make again.

Giardiniera should be added as a topping. The best places in Chicago saute the bell peppers with onions in olive oil with a bit of garlic. I agree that chuck roast is probably not the best cut to use. Keep looking online. There are many recipes available.

I bet it was tasty.
I never had a shredded Italian beef sammich.
The beef was always sliced thin.

Are you using real Italians?

Where’s the pictures? Sounds delicious. I gave up meat in May though. Still sounds delicious.

Hoagie buns, provolone cheese (if you want cheese), and more pepperoncini/ring peppers/giardiniera/sauteed onions, bell peppers, mushrooms (whatever you prefer).
Wait. I missed this part.

What is a hoagie bun? We use French bread from Gonnella or Turano Bakery.

Provolone cheese? WTF? NEVER!

Mushrooms? On Italian beef? That's just wrong!

That’s what you get when you make a Chiago Italian Beef recipe from s website called Iowa Girl Eats

I used French bread for mine.

I work with people who grew up in Chicago that say the only way to get an Italian beef is with cheese. I guess it depends on the neighborhood the place is in. These people grew up in poorer neighborhoods, fwiw.

Last time I went to the Italian Beef hole-in-the-wall place in Kalamazoo, Ray Ray's, I got the Italian Beef (dry) with extra onions & peppers ( 75 cents extra), and the giardiniera (another 75 cents extra). I've recommended the place to several people who are now regular customers of his. Anyways... he had some sauteed mushrooms on the grill, and put them on my Italian Beef free of charge as an extra, along with all the other stuff. It tasted great! I liked it, but then again I love mushrooms :embarrassed:

Back