I'm looking for an amp recommendation

PunkKitty

Horny bag of electric meat
Last year I sold a friend a small Line 6 amp that he has already outgrown. I honestly didn't expect him to play electric as much as he does. So he is looking for a new amp. The amp has to be good for electric as well as acoustic guitar.

He often performs at small clubs. So I was thinking that a 15 watt tube amp like the Kustom Defender v15 would be a good choice.

He's not opposed to going with a good solid state amp. But he doesn't want any frills. He's not even a fan of reverb so digital modelling amps with a lot of built in effects are out of the question.

Let's hear your thoughts on this.

I think I'm going to sell him my Kustom Defender v15 and use my Mahaffay with a 1x12 cabinet. I really don't need both.

My first thought was that my Fender FM15 is exactly what he wants...too bad they're discontinued...

15 watts is really light for playing acoustic through at a gig. Acoustic is all about "clean headroom."

I don't know if it's in the budget but, a Deluxe Reverb sounds excellent with an acoustic through it, and of course, with electric guitars as well.

Honestly, I would tell him to get a larger Line6 amp. That way he can have good electric tones and a good bypassed tone that's flat for the acoustic. That's how I have my POD X3 Live set up.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

a Frontman 25 would probably work OK if you can still find one. I have 3-4 of them at the studio and when they work they sound pretty good :embarrassed:

I have never tried the defender 15, but I had the 50 watt one. Not a bad sounding amp at all. He could probably find the 50 watt one pretty cheap on ebay. They did blow them out at MF for a ridiculous price, then he would have plenty of clean headroom.

a Frontman 25 would probably work OK if you can still find one. I have 3-4 of them at the studio and when they work they sound pretty good :embarrassed:

As I just posted in another thread drop a Ragin Cajun in the 25R and you've really got something, electric or acoustic.

Back