I'm going to barbecue school this weekend

I have the "cheapie" Weber (if you can call them that, because they're really not that cheap for what they....but certainly cheaper than a kamado).

I've grown quite fond of it, and I don't worry about covering it or what have you in the rain, etc...

yeah, it's a relative thing but there really isn't much in the same price range that's an equal option except maybe the Char-griller barrel but that's larger that I want to deal with. The Akron is 299 so it's a pretty good step up in price from the kettle w/ ash bucket but a ton less than a trad kamado. From everything I've read, it often needs some modification to really get running right....add in adapting to a new system/technique and it was just easier and cheaper to go with another kettle. My last one was outside and used constantly over 7 years. While it was still usable, it was beat.

I'm a big fan of the Weber Smokey Mtn. I admit that the results are slightly different from my old, well-tuned, offset smoker. But moving back and forth across country, buying, selling and renting houses (and a condo), I needed something more portable. The Smokey Mtn. is just the tops at hold temps for hours at a time.

One day, I hope we're settled enough again to finally invest in a built-in Klose or something.

After nearly 20 years of doing everything manually, I do think I'll be investing in a DigiQ or similar fan system.

F9CE71C3-65E6-4500-A673-D5322D40812A.jpg~original

I didn't get any good food shots, but you can see some uneaten brisket in the distance here if you look closely... :tongue:

276156F9-6B8E-4E6B-B766-788817D16BCD.jpg~original

276156F9-6B8E-4E6B-B766-788817D16BCD.jpg~original

I really appreciate this Picture of the TONGS TR....very thoughtful of you. I have to wonder why this guy who is handling the meat is wearing gloves, same goes for mechanics, I can see nurses and doctors cuz who want blood all over their hands (also janitors and such cleaning toilets) but food stuff and oil stuff...just wash your hands after wards.

Gloves are ubiquitous in food service now. Probably more for customers that may be Howard Hughesish than because of what the cooks and servers want.

Tell me about the brisket trimming. I know what I do, but interested in what he might add.

It's pretty much common sense - on the side with the big layer of fat, just kind of shave at it until you have a thin (1/4") layer. On the other side there is a chunk that you have to go after, that one is hard to describe.

On thing I hadn't considered - I would get lazy about trimming the fat, because it is so easy to take off after the cook, but then the extra fat I had on there was keeping the seasoning and the smoke off of the edible part.

Also, trimming is a lot easier if the meat is cold. No need to worry about the meat being cold when it goes on the grill for a low n' slow cook.

It's pretty much common sense - on the side with the big layer of fat, just kind of shave at it until you have a thin (1/4") layer. On the other side there is a chunk that you have to go after, that one is hard to describe.

On thing I hadn't considered - I would get lazy about trimming the fat, because it is so easy to take off after the cook, but then the extra fat I had on there was keeping the seasoning and the smoke off of the edible part.

Also, trimming is a lot easier if the meat is cold. No need to worry about the meat being cold when it goes on the grill for a low n' slow cook.

OK, pretty standard.

Keeping fat on does help keep the meat from drying out, so it is a trade off. I like to trim most off, with the goal of dissolving much of the remaining fat into the meat.

OK, pretty standard.

Keeping fat on does help keep the meat from drying out, so it is a trade off. I like to trim most off, with the goal of dissolving much of the remaining fat into the meat.

This guy said there is no such thing as fat from the outside soaking into the meat. If the meat is going to be moist, it needs to be marbled with fat to begin with (in his opinion).

This guy said there is no such thing as fat from the outside soaking into the meat. If the meat is going to be moist, it needs to be marbled with fat to begin with (in his opinion).

:annoyed:
There's one in every crowd. I wouldn't try and change his opinion.

I agree that marbled meat is inherently juicier, but the cap is essentially basting the meat in delicious fatty goodness.

Do a test. Get 2 briskets and leave the cap on one and trim it all off on the other. You tell me. I always leave at least some cap on my brisket and pastrami. idn_smilie

:annoyed:
There's one in every crowd. I wouldn't try and change his opinion.

I agree that marbled meat is inherently juicier, but the cap is essentially basting the meat in delicious fatty goodness.

Do a test. Get 2 briskets and leave the cap on one and trim it all off on the other. You tell me. I always leave at least some cap on my brisket and pastrami. idn_smilie

I barely have room on my grill for 1 medium-sized brisket, test not possible. :grin:

FWIW, we aren't stripping off all the cap here, the guideline was to leave about 1/4".

And to further confuse matters - some folks (not this guy and not I) say to put the brisket or butt on the grill with the fat cap side down. :shrug:

Okay, my first brisket post-bbq school is resting now. The smoker was working like a champ all night, nice consistent heat.

For sides, borracho beans are workin, and jalapeño potato salad is chillin. Will make the broccoli salad after I rest a bit. Other than that, all set except for maybe buying more beer.

Expectations are running high... stirthepot

nice. ive got half a shoulder designated for the smoke and half for carnitas tamales. just have to decide which half Im doing tomorrow

*buuuuurp*

The brisket came out pretty delicious. We had a feast with friends last night, and again just now with my mom.

I'm sold on using the simple central Texas rub - just black pepper and salt - for beef. For bird and pork, I still like a rub with chili powder, cumin etc.

Man, barbecue is fun. :)

*buuuuurp*

The brisket came out pretty delicious. We had a feast with friends last night, and again just now with my mom.

I'm sold on using the simple central Texas rub - just black pepper and salt - for beef. For bird and pork, I still like a rub with chili powder, cumin etc.

Man, barbecue is fun. :)
im with you there...salt and pepper on beef with oak being my favorite smoke

I haven't done a brisket in ages. But I can tell you, most of the brisket guys around here cut off the fat caps and then cut those caps down super thin. They put it on top a little at a time and let it render all over the meat. Not so good if you are watching your cholesterol, but ya gotta love the flavor.

Back