I'm going to barbecue school this weekend

tiger roach

Urban Bovine Knievel
This won't be a "hands on" cooking class like most of the ones I've gone to, this is a demonstration. But we do get to eat the results and they will be pairing the food with local microbrews. :cool:

It will be presented by the cook/owner of one of the local BBQ joints. I have learned a lot about the craft from other sources, but there is always room for improvement, and maybe his technique will be something different for me to try. One thing I'm particularly interested in is the proper method for slicing brisket - I'm not sure I've got that down quite right.

Anyway, I'll have a report here in a couple days. Maybe pics too!

fb0b2527c77639a084af136144dff6eab5d6b53f314198a1fb6283c263e06a31.jpg

I'm going to drug school
Gonna major in getting high
You don't need skool for that bro! Go down to Florida , hit the streets (ok the skool of hard knocks) and poke around for some "synthetics" man....you'll know more in one day than you'd learn in a semester.

You don't need skool for that bro! Go down to Florida , hit the streets (ok the skool of hard knocks) and poke around for some "synthetics" man....you'll know more in one day than you'd learn in a semester.

And you won't need to bbq anything, because you'll prefer your face-meat raw.

Hope the class is a good one...at least when you get to eat the results it can't be too bad.

One component of our recent cross country adventure was to hit a couple BBQ spots so we stopped in KC and STL.
Rack of ribs from Pappy's smokehouse in STL. KC was Arthur Bryants were we got burnt ends and brisket. Both places were fantastic and highly recommended.

F9CE71C3-65E6-4500-A673-D5322D40812A.jpg~original

I didn't get any good food shots, but you can see some uneaten brisket in the distance here if you look closely... :tongue:

276156F9-6B8E-4E6B-B766-788817D16BCD.jpg~original

Stuff I learned:

• I've been trying to regulate both intake and stack on my grill. Was told it's best to leave the exit wide open and just use the intake to regulate temp. Will try.
  • How to trim brisket and ribs (this is big)
  • How to slice brisket
  • Basic central Texas style s&p rub
  • Wrap with butcher paper, not foil while resting (except ribs)
  • Never never NEVER have turkey, chicken, brisket and ribs in one sitting. :messedup: (I wasn't really as full as I thought, I just OD'd on the taste of all that meat that doesn't really go together).
Next weekend will be the best brisket ever.

interesting. On my Weber kettle, I found leaving the i take wide open and adjusting the top vent was pretty effective for temp control once the coals settled. that said, I need to get a new grill/smoke and while I'd love to grab an egg, I might get something lighter and more affordable until we are more situated. was thinking about the akorn kamado or just another cheap weber kettle

Opted for another Weber; cheaper than the other options and I can cook just about anything blindfolded on one.

I have the "cheapie" Weber (if you can call them that, because they're really not that cheap for what they....but certainly cheaper than a kamado).

I've grown quite fond of it, and I don't worry about covering it or what have you in the rain, etc...

Last edited:
Back