I'm Going In - With update

Gary Blanchard

beloved, local musician
The other day I got a letter from Social Security indicating that they are going to start taking money from me and I won't see another full check until October. So I am heading to the local office (that screwed up my repayment plan) to try to get this straightened out. I don't have much hope. :old:

They've already taken two checks and it is almost fully repaid. :rolleyes:

That sounds like about as much fun as firing stainless steel brads through your ballsack with a pneumatic floor nailer.

Have fun!

Bring your guitar and entertain, man.......

Hell, you know you're going to be there for hours, so....
1.) You'll have a captive audience.
2.) You can bring a little joy to all the miserable SOB's you'll be surrounded by.....
3.) You get free advertising.

Lemons vs Lemonade, you know?

Take an electric banjo and a Marshal stack....
You'll stop just as soon as they get things cleared up to your satisfaction...........
Til then, crank it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As Arte Johnson used to say, verrrrrry interesting. The wait actually wasn't too bad I got there around 10:embarrassed:0 and was out about 11:embarrassed:0 or so. Luckily I had tons of paperwork and printouts to show that it was nearly paid off. At first the guy wasn't getting it, but once he saw the problem, he got on the phone with someone and straightened it out. However, even though the balance owed is 1/3 of my check, they would have held all of my check this month because "they can't issue a partial payment." The way it sounded a month later they would issue an overpayment to me, but it also sounded like I wouldn't get that month's check. Then I mentioned the payment plan I set up in that office in May and showed him the paperwork; he confirmed that someone fucked up. He spoke to his supervisor who authorized him to set up a payment plan for this balance, breaking it into two payments. This way they will send me a check this month minus about $260. I am going to call Social Security next week to see if I can verify that this was done; I really can't afford to go another month without a check. :annoyed:

By the way, I couldn't get the banjo past the metal detector. After my experiences these past few months I understand why they check everyone before entry. :old:

Hope it works this time.

If you have to go back, bring a Hibachi and roast Brussel sprouts and grille cabbage until they sort it out.

I'm glad you got it worked out.

However, I'm confused... What are you paying TO Social Security that they're taking it out of the checks you're receiving? What's the whole deal?

I took early retirement before I was offered the adjunct faculty job. Since I never know from semester to semester if I will have work, and how much work I will have, I decided not to put Social Security on hold. There are earning limits up until age 66 for me, so right now I am earning more than allowed and I have to pay back some of the money each year.

Back