I'm going amp shopping

Pine Apple Slim

Kick Henry Jackassowski
A Valentine present from the Mrs. I get to spend a few hrs at GC playing amps. My old VC 2110R is crapping out and I was originally gonna order a Crush 35RT to replace it. But my darling suggested I get something a little bigger and better. I want a reliable and versatile combo that will last me a long time. Big enough for any gig but small enough to lug to rehearsal, say less than 50 lbs.
I think the local GC has most of what I want to try in stock. Tomorrow or Friday I'm taking my Tele and plug into:
Orange - Pro Crush 60c
Vox- AC15
Roland JC40
Fender- 68 Deluxe or Vibrolux reissue , and new Bassbreaker 45 or 30-18
Marshall-DSL40

Will report back hopefully with a HNAD!

Good Luck! I found shopping for amps to be my least fave part of playing. After the second or third test drive I am totally confused about what I thought I heard and what I thought.

:cool:

My personal favs are the AC15 and the '68 Deluxe

The budget is kinda 500-800ish but those two are so well regarded I have to give them a shot.
I kinda want no fuss, an effects loop, and maybe even a line out. So there's quite a bit of SS on the list.
I know the Crush Pro stuff is good and I'm dying to hear the JC40.

Good Luck! I found shopping for amps to be my least fave part of playing. After the second or third test drive I am totally confused about what I thought I heard and what I thought.

Other than a Micro Terror and a Mustang 1 I havent bought an amp in 20+ years. And yea ear fatigue is a worry. Here's how it will hopefully go down:
Try the Crush Pro60C and the JC40 and decide which I like best.
Then play the AC15 and 68 Deluxe to see if I like either well enough more for the extra money, lack of features like effects loop and line out, and cost of maintaining tubes.
Hopefully between those four I'll hit pay dirt.
I'll prob take my Wylde/Lawrence equipped tele and a dirt pedal with me.

Last edited:
Of the amps you mentioned, I have an AC-15 and a Roland JC 55. If I only could keep 1, it would've the AC-15. the Roland is kind of a 1 trick pony, but it does that trick great. The Vox can do a lot more.

Nice Valentine present from the Mrs.!

Those are some nice amps that you have in the audition lineup. Keep in mind, when playing the '68 Custom Deluxe Reverb, that breaks up a little quicker than the Deluxe Reverb Reissue. If you want a little more headroom, the DRRI is worth a listen.

Well turns out the shop in the Shoals closed early. Grand opening is Mon. But their FB said come on down.
But looking in the window I didn't see a huge amp selection. Several wood cab combos I assume we're from the local amp builder, a buncha tweed covered combos of some brand or another looking from like new to like Neil Y's Deluxe. An old Marshall or two. I doubt he has a Quilter combo, he might have a couple of the little heads under the counter, idk. Guess I call him and see what he's gonna get when.

Thru the day I've been thinking about what I really need. A grab n go for rehearsals and small gigs.
The more I think about it my original plan of a Crush 35rt for $229 (w Presidents Day 15% off coupon) is really all I need right now. I just don't like toting my Micro Terror around despite its size. Separate box to carry it in, more stuff to pack and unpack. I'd prefer it stay in the studio. For bigger gigs my old SF Bassman 50/homemade Weber 15 cab works and sounds glorious.

Called the guy today. He's got a Mach 2 head and 1-12 cab and the Aviator 1-12 combo. I think he has a couple of Victoria's , a Revv, a couple of local Shoals built, and who knows what else. I'll check him out on Monday.

Headed to
https://www.facebook.com/shoalsguitarboutique/
Shoals Guitar Boutique, LLC
February 12 at 11:embarrassed:2am ·
"Yes Indeed; Let us Feed your Need for Tweed!
We have four Victorias, two Fender reissues, two killer hand-built 'tweed Deluxe' Muscle Shoals Tube Amps, plus a couple of others.
Feel free to come by & try them out!"

Gonna a/b some Quilter against some Victoria's and other vintage tube amps.
Who knows what the Pine Apple may return with!
Wish me luck.

Back