I'm an idiot...

OK, finally got the JJ 6CA7s in there. Definitely has more top end definition and more in the low end but the mids are still pretty much the same. From what I hear these particular tubes need a good break-in period and then they become really stellar.

I also futzed around just changing the levels on channel 1 and 2, and without even touching the EQ (which is dimed) there's a lot of different sounds there.

I love the versatility of a simple circuit.

I swapped out V1 trying to see what I like there. I tried an EH, a JJ ECC83S, and what appears to be an old RCA that's not labeled as such (just says U.S.A. 7025 Z5, but the plates look identical to some '50s RCAs I see on the 'net). I ended up liking the EH the best of the three but it's still a little flat. The RCA seemed kinda... Meh. I have no idea where I got it from and it's probably old and worn out. The JJ just seemed middy.

I want to get a couple others to try. I keep hearing good things about the Tung-Sol reissue (the one that blows up in the cathode follower position) in V1 of Marshally circuits as well as the Sovtek 12AX7-LPS. I also have some Mesa-labeled 8th gen Chinese tubes (the ones with the square getter) that I want to try.

So far my favorite V1 tube is a Chinese 7025. Still have the stock 12ax7s in V2 and V3 and the power tubes are JJ 6CA7s.

I tried a Tung-Sol in V1 but it was boomy. EH was meh. JJ ECC83S was harmonically rich but dark.

Gonna play with V2 and V3 now.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Back