I'm actually considering getting a minivan

tiger roach

Urban Bovine Knievel
It's true. And the irony is, I have no children or soccers.

The thing is my astronomy hobby. We can barely fit my telescope and all the stuff that goes with it in our Highlander... when we went to West Texas last week one of my friends came along, and with one of the back seats up it was like playing real-life Tetris to get everything in the car.

I have always thought in terms of SUVs, but truth be told, those things don't have near as much cargo room in them as it seems like they should. A minivan with the 3rd row down would blow any SUV away in that department, and be easier to load/unload since the bottom edge of the tailgate is typically closer to the ground.

So I'm thinking the Toyota Sienna looks pretty sexy at this point. Where do I turn in my man card? :embarrassed:

The Toyota is actually pretty cool looking as far as mini vans go.
But if you want to keep your man card you need to get one of these
image.jpg

Minivans are pretty darned practical for lots of things, especially if they involve gear. Guitar stuff, cycling stuff, ski stuff, etc. Nice to have it all fit in the back inside and not have to rack a bunch of stuff. Small wagons can do a lot of that but if you have more than one or two people cycling, you have to start racking. Or at least I do with my packing skills.

We had a Toyota Previa van for years that I really loved for that reason. Great in the snow and on back roads too, until you got into the really gnarly stuff that you need a Jeep for.

I used to be able to fit all kinds of crap in my VW Rabbit. Even a Barcolounger :lol: I've always thought those Sprinter/Transit style vans looked like they would be useful.

In the 80s they were a pile of underpowered crap, though, and a symbol of the soccer mom. Now they've been replaced by the gargantuan "SUV".

Reactions: Tig
Look at it this way:

The cops never look at minivans, so you're going to REALLY be an asshole to get pulled over.

It is very useful, especially if you take out the back seats. Instant cargo van.

They're not terrible on gas.

They're quite comfortable for road trips.

A cooler of beer fits nicely in the back with all your other stuff.

The Honda Odysseys are really nice vehicles. We have a couple in the fleet at work, and they're always a pleasure to drive. Comfortable, reasonably nimble (for a van), and oodles of power (0-60 faster than the Accord with the same engine). I'm not as crazy about the Sienna's styling, though they do offer an AWD version.

The Odyssey is definitely another option I'll consider.

I wasn't aware of that VW - will have to look into that. I like the throwback touches to the old Microbus. :cool:

Back