IKEA

We got a couple minor pieces of furniture from them years ago. I still like my desk but the buying and assembling experience was painful. No plans to go back.

And I'm not a big meatball fan anyway...

Going to Ikea definitely sucks—they design the place so that you have to walk through the majority of the store to get back to an exit. But most Ikea products can now be ordered online and delivered to your home—which I very much recommend.

Do they come with a Swedish engineer to berate your stupidity over not understanding the brilliance of the design?

I've been there once and I will never go back. Maybe there are some out there that aren't so bad, but there is only 1 in the DC area (unless they have opened more) and it is worse than waiting in line for a ride at Disney world. I couldn't get out of there faster.

I've never been there. My wife went to the one in East Palo Alto when it first opened and hasn't been back...

I've been there once and I will never go back. Maybe there are some out there that aren't so bad, but there is only 1 in the DC area (unless they have opened more) and it is worse than waiting in line for a ride at Disney world. I couldn't get out of there faster.

When I lived in DC I used to go to that one often. However, I would usually go on a weeknight about an hour before they closed. That whole complex was a madhouse on a weekend.

I don't mind Ikea. I LOVE the Poang chairs. I have another companies version of that chair now and it is not as nice as the Ikea version. I am, however, trying to avoid any pressed wood furnishings now and that is a lot of what they do. Not everything though.

'twas a sofa bed. Assembly took 3 hours and my hands are sore but it wasn't too bad. The design is clever and seems pretty durable.

The in-store experience was awful, though. I don't want to follow the trail through every part of a store. I just want to pick it out, pay for it, and go.

The customer service was bad. Checking out was long and painful. After paying for it and waiting, the dude just rolled a loaded forklift to the car and left.

When IKEA first opened my wife wanted to go there all the time. Since then that interest has died down. I have gotten a few things from there for my office. Now my office is so cluttered I can't really see anything. Time to bring in the trash can....

The first time I went I found it pretty overwheleming and definitely not my idea of the best way to spend an afternoon. We mostly went to see what it was about. We went back to actually get something and it was much better. We knew how it operated so we were able to get in and out.

Somehow they have figured out how to make it a destination because both times it was absolutely crawling with people. Must be some merit to the business model.

I have an Ikea a little more than a mile away. I tend to just shop in the Marketplace downstairs and I know the shortcuts. I also know what I'm going to get beforehand. If I need furniture that is displayed upstairs, I go online first and check where the items are in the warehouse portion first - I never have to go look upstairs unless I want to see something I haven't seen before. Avoid on weekends.

I was there a week ago with my wife and two kids (girls) getting a new wardrobe for my daughters bedroom. What i can tell you is that women and kids love it there.

I wasn't that bothered about it as my wife knows all the shortcuts (all stores have them, you don't have to follow the crowds or the arrows), plus we went to the restaurant and I had meatballs and chips. Very nice.

What DID piss me off is when we got to the check out. About 20 of them all with massive queues. FUCK. I hate that. Still, wardrobe up now and for 150 euros it doesn't look bad at all.

Mynd you, møøse balls Kan be pretti nasti.

Wik Wi nøt trei a høliday in Sweden this yër?
See the løveli lakes.
The wøndërful telephøne system.
And mäni interesting furry animals.
Mi syster vas bit by a moose once.

Reactions: Tig
Back