Question: If you could recommend one album everyone should listen to or own...

2vj5wf5.jpg

You guys are probably sick of me hyping this record, but here we go 'gin.

James Harman from '82 or '83. A masterpiece of blues and R&B. Hollywood Fats, Kid Ramos.

Kind of a departure from James' regular blues output but killer just the same. Record is out of print and rare. I got James to sign my copy at Premier a couple years back.

I'm going to assume due to you initial statement that everyone hear has heard Sgt. Pepper's, so my pick would be:

southeastern_detail.jpg

It wouldn't be hyperbole for me to say this was a lifechanger, much like Sgt. Pepper's.
It is a fantastic album, and it is in constant rotation on my phone right now, but....

Please elaborate how it is life changing? I mean it clearly touches on many dark themes, and chronicles HIS life changing issues, but how is it life changing to you or I? I can see if someone is giving up alcohol (as I did a few years back) but to me it is but one of a number of important albums by very talented songwriters that I admire. I was actually going to start a thread about it the other day, and see what other fans think about a few of the songs. It is brilliant, just not getting the hyperbole.

It is a fantastic album, and it is in constant rotation on my phone right now, but....

Please elaborate how it is life changing? I mean it clearly touches on many dark themes, and chronicles HIS life changing issues, but how is it life changing to you or I? I can see if someone is giving up alcohol (as I did a few years back) but to me it is but one of a number of important albums by very talented songwriters that I admire. I was actually going to start a thread about it the other day, and see what other fans think about a few of the songs. It is brilliant, just not getting the hyperbole.

As Mel Brooks once said: "tragedy is when I cut my finger; comedy is when you trip into an open sewer and die."

I think maybe he means musically. The Soft Bulletin did the same thing for me, just like Sgt. Pepper's did for me before it. When I heard it for the first time it hit me like a ton of bricks for reasons I can't really explain. I was like "so this is what music can be like, too" and it was a revelation. Even if I didn't really relate 100% personally to the lyrics, it changed what I thought about what popular rock music could be.

I haven't heard the Isbell stuff but that was how I interpreted what he said.

I think maybe he means musically. The Soft Bulletin did the same thing for me, just like Sgt. Pepper's did for me before it. When I heard it for the first time it hit me like a ton of bricks for reasons I can't really explain. I was like "so this is what music can be like, too" and it was a revelation. Even if I didn't really relate 100% personally to the lyrics, it changed what I thought about what popular rock music could be.

I haven't heard the Isbell stuff but that was how I interpreted what he said.

I was thinking along the same lines, in that his duo has some similarities to Jason doing this mostly solo acoustic album with his wife Amanda accompanying him on violin. I know Andy has been a fan for quite a while so I don't know how profoundly different this might be.

Check this out

Back