If egg is sticking to your cast iron skillet, add a little mercury.

i'm guessing this wasn't done under a hood or wearing the proper PPE for Hg exposure.

This is extremely hazardous and was done in a fume hood and a respirator was also used. I can't stress enough that you should not do this yourself.

I'm so tired of the stupid amateur science movement.
Why? Mythbusters has shown us that anyone can do your sciency stuff without wasting all that time and money on your fancy schools. I learneded that on Facebook, too.

I mean, good grief. Remove stick from ass for 30 seconds. Let's all get up in arms over some dude doing something silly with mercury. Keep this kind of thing up and soon MWGL Forum will be listed under "stodgy" in the dictionary.

:)

In junior high for a while I had a blob of mercury I kept in my desk to play with. (I wasn't into cooking at that time).

Mythbusters taught me that the robot expert, human daredevil, and cute charismatic assistant eventually get dropped from the show.

In junior high for a while I had a blob of mercury I kept in my desk to play with. (I wasn't into cooking at that time).

I had like half a pound of mercury...WHEN I WAS EIGHT YEARS OLD. In a mason jar. I knew it was dangerous(ish.) I was careful of it then, and my parents knew I had it, it came from my grandfather, who worked at Union Carbide.

I'd show it to friends but rarely took it out of the jar. Different times. Still completely legal to own of course, but now a days it's a huge catastrophe when a small vial of it is found at a school and it breaks.

Similar experience here. I can remember more than one occasion where a broken thermometer led to a few hours of fun with mercury.

Entire generations of kids grew up playing with mercury. My dad did, I did, and I've heard all kinds of other anecdotal stories of it both personally and on the interwebs.

That's not by any means false logic to say it was a GOOD thing, humans have been unknowingly exposed to nasty shit over the years that we know better of NOW, but it wasn't the worst thing in the world. Kids shouldn't be playing with mercury, but the fact is, many did.

Science / chemistry teachers / professors used to let students play with it.

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/archive/index.php/t-275335.html

https://www.google.com/search?q=i+used+to+play+with+mercury

Probably the worst part about it was, when we were done playing with it, it just went into the trash can.

I don't really care so much about the guy wanting to heat up mercury, or the exposure to mercury. We all played with it as kids, myself included. I was more concerned with the fact that the entire video seems to be demonstrating that hot things can cook an egg...something that is already well understood by, well, pretty much everyone. I'm surprised this guy doesn't have a show on the Science channel where he heats up other things to sufficient temperature to cook things.

Back