I'd like to take this moment to thank Robert Keeley

Help!I'maRock!

Mediocringly Derivative
At least, I think it's his fault. AFIAK, Keeley was the first guy to put blinding LEDs into guitar pedals. Seriously, you could hail a blimp with a Keeley modded pedal. Now everyone does it. And I have to put tiny pieces of tape over the LEDs so I don't get migraines. These days it's MXR and DOD. And they're not even blue anymore, they're super bright white LEDs.

messedup0

A5157A15-1B0A-4E0A-84AC-694232117D1F.jpeg

At least, I think it's his fault. AFIAK, Keeley was the first guy to put blinding LEDs into guitar pedals. Seriously, you could hail a blimp with a Keeley modded pedal. Now everyone does it. And I have to put tiny pieces of tape over the LEDs so I don't get migraines. These days it's MXR and DOD. And they're not even blue anymore, they're super bright white LEDs.

messedup0

Well yeah but, you get the uplighting to your crotch.

I'm a fan of the super bright LEDs. It's only a problem when multiple pedals have the same color and brightness of bulbs. One of my "sooner or later" projects is to put super bright LEDs in all my pedals that don't already have such, and to have a different color in each one. Aside from my RAT that actually lights up the whole logo with the bulb reflection off the special glow paint, and my VLD-1 Steve Vai pedal that lights up the whole logo in three different colors depending on the channel selection, it can be a chore to distinguish at a quick glance on a dark stage which pedal is which.

When I restored/created my Signature Blue JC-77, I replaced the original red power indicator with the most obnoxiously bright blue LED I could stuff in it. You can see that shit from space!

Bright LED's work great for outdoor gigs!

As for indoor, stand a little further back. It's what I do.

messedup0

I'm hip to that shit. In my dark-ish office, those lights are literally painful.

My solution: I put unused picks from sampler packs that are too light gauge for me over them, with scotch tape on the back to hold them in place. Super-ghetto, but it works.

Fuck LEDs. Give me a laser!!!! :mad::mad::mad:
Oh Gawd! I went to a show at the HOB in San Diego once and both guitarists and the bass player had fuckin' lasers clipped to their headstocks pointing straight forward. Two red, one green. It was both painful and potentially harmful. Sure, it looked real cool when the fog machine was dispersing the beams, but when it was just a bright ass pinpoint of laser light bouncing off the back of your retinas, it made you wanna go all Wayne Brady on a motherfucker.

Back