Ice Wine?

Jbird

Kick Henry Jackassowski
Any good?

I heard it mentioned in an episode of the TV series Fargo, so I looked it up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_wine

I like sweet wines like Moscato, so I definitely want to try this. I just don't know where to buy any :(

What are some other sweet, dessert-type wines?

It's definitely for dessert.
In a small glass like an aperitif glass.

I've had some really good ice wines and some bad ones.
They best was actually one you can't get. My brother made some from gewurztraminer grapes. It has a bit of a spicy flavour that works well against the sweetness of the ice wine.

You should be able to find some just about anywhere. I'm pretty sure there is a lot exported out of the Niagara Region to all over the world. I know of one winemaker that was shipping tons of it to China. I assume they still do, but I'm not sure. It's kind of low grade, blended wines, but it's all late harvest and ice wine.

The pioneer from here is Inniskillen, but just about anything from Niagara is a good bet.

Late harvest is a nice way to go for not-as-sweet-as-ice-wine. It's still a dessert style but you can manage a regular sized glass of it. Many Niagara producers have a late harvest as well. Some times it's just a way to save a crop that isn't going to make to ice wine temperatures. Sometimes a producer will leave a larger portion of the vineyard aside for ice wine as insurance against the weather and birds. When they know they're going to have enough of an ice wine crop, they'll harvest the rest and make late harvest.

I found out today that my local Meijers store has this

jackson-triggs-vidal-icewine-reserve-niagara-peninsula-canada-10153998.jpg

It says it's from the Niagara area, so I think I'll try some. They only had one other ice wine, and I don't remember the name of it. It was in a blue bottle and was really cheap. I think I'll try this Jackson-Triggs stuff first.

J-T makes great wine.
..and they have an amphitheatre in the vineyard where put on some pretty good concerts.

That's a pretty good label to start with ice wine.

Fairly common at any supermartket over here. Definitely nothing to drink for a buzz though. Sweet as hell.

My local liquor stores sell ice wines and have a whole section of desert wines/beverages...you should go to a near by retailer and ask for a recommendation from the helpful folks that work there, who can give you guidance on what they have in stock. w/rt ice wine/eiswein, it's not really my thing.

I've had it lots of times but I find it way too sweet. My wife loves the stuff.

I have a bit every few years when I visit the Niagara region. Not my style, really, but goes well with some strong dark chocolate.

I found an ice wine at the local produce supermarket (they have a huge wine section too) called 42, and it's produced here in SW Michigan, the 42nd parallel, hence the name '42'.

I took it to my sister-in-laws Christmas Eve party she always has, and it was a hit. Everyone liked it including me, but it's not something you want a large glass of. Just a small couple of sips with a slice of pie or something, after dinner.

I also took a bottle of mead, from Oliver winery down in the Bloomington, Indiana area. That was the big hit of the party, everyone wanted to try it. (Everyone brought a bottle of wine of some sort)

It is sweet, but not cloyingly sweet. No aftertaste at all. Less sweet than a good Moscato wine, and none of the 'winey' aftertaste. Pretty good stuff if you ask me.

camelot-mead.jpg

I've tried a few different brands of meads lately, and this is definitely my favorite. I've had some mead that was brewed more like a beer, and that was nasty. I tried a blueberry-flavored wine-like mead from a Michigan brewery that wasn't bad, and also another wine-like mead that I forget the name of, but wasn't all that great.

This Oliver Camelot mead is pretty tasty though :)

Back