I was offered a job in NYC today.

Stamford? IMO, that's where CT gets its reputation as a suburb to NYC. CT's not the fun capital of the world, but there's a lot more going on culturally than, oh I don't know, the entire mid-west put together. Plus, I can take a train or drive around two hours and be in NYC or Boston, without actually having to smell, or deal with the traffic of those cities.

what a crazy couple of months its been...

i turned the NYC city job down. my time with my family was ultimately too important and i wasn't about to start seeing my kids grow up through my wife's Facebook statuses. in the course of arriving at that decision though, i talked to some people around the office and in the field offices who had previously worked in the city. one of those conversations led to another job offer for a similar position in another office. in New Jersey.

literally in the same week that the New Jersey job opportunity was presented to me, i was approached by someone right in Home Office where i work for a killer job opportunity that wouldn't require me to move at all, but would provide a lot of the same career benefits. so now i had to figure out whether to a) stay in my current role, b) pursue a job in the New Jersey or c) pursue a new job opportunity here in CT.

it took me close to 6 weeks to figure it all out enough where i knew which decision was best for me.

i posted for the new Home Office position this afternoon. it was literally the last thing i did before leaving for the weekend. i realize it's no guarantee that i'll get the job, but i'm optimistic. I should start the HR interview process within the next two weeks and will hopefully know outcome by that same time (the hiring manager is the person who recruited me, and he's the key decision-maker on the final candidate). wish me luck... !

Funny thing is, I haven't really seen too many NYC rats in my journeys to the city. Now when I lived in DC, we had a rat hotel in the concrete divider between our neighbor's parking spot and ours. The guys who knocked it down claimed to have killed between 60-75 rats during the demolition.

The biggest rats I ever saw were the ones in DC’s elite Georgetown neighborhood. Those fuckers could be mistaken for opossums if opossums went out at night. Rich people throw out a lot of good food and they don’t buy nice garbage cans. Not that I didn’t see plenty of rats in NYC, but they’re the cute little ones. Now in Boulder we must have plenty of rats and mice that I just don’t see, because there are hawks and falcons all over the place, and they’re huge.

All the best with whatever comes your way. We have a saying over here "what's for you won't go past you" and you're spot on basing your decision on your life and your kids rather than the dough.

I don't have kids but interviewed for a job a 45-60 minute commute a few months back and before I'd even got to the place I'd made my mind up that having to do that every day would kill me.

For me, the decision you made would be the right one. I love Chicago ( we live 3 hours away in MI ) I was in Med School there, met my wife there, and every time we return, I am tempted to buy and move there, BUT with two school age children and the increased cost of living/housing, it would never work.

Back