Help! I want to record a live acoustic performance

Jeremy

Also no borders.
So here's the idea: probably mid-June or so my wife and I are planning to have a cookout at our place. I'm going to see if my band is interested in putting on a live, unplugged-type set in the evening, and I'd like to record the audio.

Just thinking, we're going to need 3 mics for guitars, probably 2 for percussion and another three or four for vocals. That's 8-9 inputs, which we can handle between my interface and the other guitarist's.

My questions are these: should we run each interface into a separate daw or would it be okay to run both into my machine? I'm running an iMac (2 years old, 21.5", pretty solid) with logic 9 and a native instruments 6-channel interface. Can't remember the model name offhand. I know that 2 of the inputs on mine are spdif, and I'm not 100% sure what that means. But that leaves 4 inputs that are usable for this. Fabian's has 6 usable, but he isn't sure if they can all be run simultaneously.

Running a mixer and sub mixing some or all of the tracks is also an option.

What issues am I going to run into? What am I not thinking of?

Mark, move this wherever you want. I put it here in hopes of getting some replies before it gets moved.

And yeah, anyone that's in the area is invited :)

I would go into a mixer. Just because I am shit with computers.

It's definitely the easiest option. I'm just concerned about not being able to adjust levels on individual tracks afterwards. The goal would be to have something to release as an interim thing until we can get a few more songs written, and MAYBE to release one of the new ones we've been working in this way.

It may end up being the best option, though.

We just went through a similar thing. We wound up getting a good mix at the board, then just recording in stereo off the board.

Is there ADAT connectivity between your interface and the native native instruments interface? If so you should be able to get 14 channels out of that rig altogether. What are the model #'s of all the interfaces?

I vote for the mixer option. The list of amazing sounding live recordings that only used a couple of mics is miles long. It can be done, and probably with less effort than you'd imagine.

I have successfully run two interfaces at the same time, but they were both Presonus Firepods daisy chained via firewire for a total of 16 mic pres.

I don't know how successful you'd be mixing two different interfaces.

Back