I want to hear your stories, legends and myths

Nice. This took me on a journey man. Do play in your own band now?
I play in my own band. I'm like a lone wolf pack, only we, (me) , are called 'Lone Wolf Sak'. I play in front of an alternative crowd.

20191115_151110.jpg

I play in my own band. I'm like a lone wolf pack, only we, (me) , are called 'Lone Wolf Sak'. I play in front of an alternative crowd.

View attachment 51549

I just woke up after taking an after work nap.. and was so confused what was happening around that dog. Haha.

But... The plus side is your crowd is probably always happy to see you and will rock out!

My black cat doesn't mind being in the same room as the amp going on. But little pumpkin, my orange kitten, noooope. He out.

I just woke up after taking an after work nap.. and was so confused what was happening around that dog. Haha.

But... The plus side is your crowd is probably always happy to see you and will rock out!

My black cat doesn't mind being in the same room as the amp going on. But little pumpkin, my orange kitten, noooope. He out.
That's my son with Jaxie, our pooch. I put a bottle of scorpion/ghost/some other hot ass pepper in front of his face. I'm not in a band. I play solo . I did get Landon the electronic drum kit he wanted when he was three. It's a $500 Alesis. Has has 2 more years until he can reach the base pedal. It's a fun kit to play. I see us jamming in the future.

If I ever did have a band, it would be called Sak. I would have Sak themed songs. I have very little written for that, but many titles. I play for fun. I enjoy the groove you get in when you've been working on something, and you go from chord to chord, and note to note with minimal mistakes. It's like a vacation from everything when I play guitar. Its work improving, but fun.

I have two cats as well. Both are black. We have a black dog too. They all chill out when i play. I rarely plug in. I play a steel string Taylor, and a nylon string Yamaha.

So yeah. I'm just rambling. I have twenty more paragraphs.

I'm sensing you are wondering just what are Sak themed songs. Here are a few:

Sad Sak.
Sak Up.
Sak.
Hit The Sak.
RanSak.
Ten bone Sak o' bumbo.

Last edited:
I started with some friends in high school. I think our first gig was a party, or maybe my high school's battle of the bands thing, it was the 80s, its hard to remember that far back. In college, I ran into a friend of my younger brother's from high school and he was in a band. He didn't like his bass player and knew I played, so I ended up in his band. That one broke up, then the 2 of us started another band. We put out 2 CDs, toured the east coast and got to open for a ton of bands that ended up getting big. I've been in a few bands since then, but haven't gigged in 15 years. I quit gigging when my first daughter was born, but lately have been jamming with some neighborhood friends which has got me itching to start something up again.

My first was at a company Christmas party in '82-'83, roughly 250 people at a Knights of Columbus hall. The live band's bassist was a no-show, and they asked if anyone in attendance could play bass. A few co-workers shoved me towards the stage. I was petrified for the first 10 minutes. To this day I'm still scared shitless for the first few songs.

My wife and I taught Sunday School; kids were 9 and 10. Classes did programs pieces on Sunday mornings and I would play acoustic guitar with them in front of a couple hundred people. That turned into my son and I playing at church and then got invited to other churches. Not really a big deal for me because I had to speak in front of 50 to 100 people regularly before I started playing guitar. Just one more presentation.

Last edited:
Started playing when I was in my early 20s because I was bored. Found out a guy at my shitty cubicle job who liked similar music and whose online magazine I wrote rock Crit for also played drums. Within about 6 months of buying a guitar, I was in a band with this guy. The person who was gonna be the songwriter/singer flaked out so I started writing tunes. We got a different singer and were playing original indie rock type gigs not long after that. Played a bunch of shows, grew to hate each other, broke up.

Started another band that couldn’t deal with each other personally; most people bailed before our first gig. Me and the drummer and the bassist did an improv noise rock thing at the gig. People dug it, but we never followed up.

Joined a power pop band as an excuse to learn bass. Played a kajillion shows. Were moderately successful. The other members of the band were stupid, terrible people and eventually the band avoided me for two weeks so I wasn’t able to quit the band before they sent me a shitty “you’re out of the band; my dad’s a lawyer” email.

Moved cities, went to grad school, got my own act together as a solo performer, moved cities again. Now I just do my own stuff solo live and work with friends for full band recordings.

We were in high school, our singer pulled out on the morning because he had a football game (which he'd known about for weeks!) so I ended up singing - it involved some ad libbing over No Woman No Cry, :facepalm:

We were in high school, our singer pulled out on the morning because he had a football game (which he'd known about for weeks!) so I ended up singing - it involved some ad libbing over No Woman No Cry, :facepalm:

In fact if I remember correctly we did something ridiculous like a 3 or 4 hour set - 14 years old we must have been. Turned out to be a really good band, could woulda shoulda made it etc... :rolleyes:

DJing was a bit less dramatic - I joined an agency when I started my teacher training so I could chuck my bar job.

My first gig was at a bar in my universities 'pub' I never even realised this place existed until that night because it was really for the students that stayed in halls.

My brother came along for some moral support. About half an hour in he goes "I'm digging the tunes but fuck me, nobody wants to dance to this shit."

I took the point and although I know it's not cool for muso's, I've achieved a hell of a lot more DJing that most folk ever manage playing instruments. I'm almost certain 2020 will be my last 'full' year of doing it, at least to the level and intensity that I currently am but it's been a nice ride from that uni pub all those years ago.

I always had stage fright, social disorder, so it was pretty rare that I played sober / not wasted.

I don't think I played a gig sober until I was close to 30. The first time I played sober, I was a little scared before I hit the stage, but after the first chord, I was fine.

>How did you first start playing live?

I don't remember as it was long ago. The only thing I can vaguely remember was playing back yard parties in High School. In college played a few solo recitals and with bands, mostly private parties.

After leaving college, played in clubs and a few military circuit venues. Between 87-89 I was a full time musician where I taught and played 6 days/nights a week in Waikiki. When I moved to LA I was part time again playing parties and clubs. Since 2013 I started to play solo shows (paid) as well as open mics along with duets depending on the type of gig.
usa today protonmail
I have pickup gigs with bands along with a few project that call me needing my services.
It was rhe same for me but in the university, i start in the second years to make solo shows and get paid

Last edited:
This is waaaaaay back. I played a couple talent shows and battle of the bands back in the eighties and then or bands played at the guitar players brothers wedding reception. Glory Days from Bruce was a hit, Indians from Anthrax wasn't...

I joined the army and had some jam partners and played at a live club a few songs between other acts sets, but that was long ago. Would have had a gig backing my daughter at a wedding this year in September, but my daughter is now pregnant and due in August, so she called it off.

Back