I Want To Go Home

Bloody hell, even in Canada. :(

OTTAWA, Ontario (AP) — A gunman shot and wounded a Canadian soldier standing guard at a war memorial in Ottawa on Wednesday, then entered Parliament, where numerous shots rang out, police and witnesses said.

People fled Parliament by scrambling down scaffolding erected for renovations, witnesses told the Canadian Press news agency. Others were in lockdown.

Ottawa police Constable Marc Soucy said it was unclear whether there was more than one shooter.

The attack came two days after a recent convert to Islam killed one Canadian soldier and injured another in a hit-and-run before being shot to death by police. The killer had been on the radar of federal investigators, who feared he had jihadist ambitions and seized his passport when he tried to travel to Turkey.

On Wednesday, video taken by a reporter for the Globe and Mail showed police officers walking slowly through Parliament toward the entrance with guns drawn. The sound of a gunshot ran out, followed by the sounds of multiple shots.

The top spokesman for Prime Minister Stephen Harper said Harper was safe and had left Parliament Hill.

Soucy said shots were also fired at a shopping mall near Parliament. All three sites — the National War Memorial, Parliament and the mall — are within less than a mile from each other.

"Most of downtown Ottawa is in lockdown," Soucy said.

Cabinet minister Tony Clement tweeted that at least 30 shots were heard inside Parliament, where Conservative and Liberal MPs were holding their weekly caucus meetings.

"I'm safe locked in a office awaiting security," Kyle Seeback, another member of Parliament, tweeted.

Royal Canadian Mounted Police warned people in downtown Ottawa to stay away from windows and rooftops.

The wounded soldier was taken away in an ambulance. His condition was not immediately known.

Watching live reports.
Crazy.

Police are on the move right now. Chasing someone.

There's a crowd trying to follow the police.... Idiots.

Soldier is still in hospital. Alive but fighting.

Mojo tompetty

tompetty is about 1000 miles away from all of this; I think that he and his family will be ok.

(He works with the military, and his situation is probably nation-wide right now)

tompetty is about 1000 miles away from all of this; I think that he and his family will be ok.

(He works with the military, and his situation is probably nation-wide right now)
Locked down is locked down no matter how far away the threat is.

It still sucks that it had to happen at all.

Hospital has reported receiving 3 people related to today's events. One being the soldier. No comment on the other two.

Just got this e-mail...Cool,I can go home..

"
Ladies and Gentlemen,
This morning, following the attack on one of our own in Ottawa, you were advised to remain in your workspaces until more information could be gathered. While the full picture continues to be understood, there is no identified specific threat in Halifax. Notwithstanding, we need to remain vigilant and smart. The Admiral has issued direction to ensure that we are taking the appropriate action to keep our DND/CAF team safe and aware. The following points are issued as supplementary to that direction:
  1. There is no “lock-down” and you are free to move from your workspaces, cognizant of the situation and your surroundings;
  2. Movement and exposure in public places while in uniform, or while readily identifiable as a CAF/DND employee, is to be kept to a minimum. Wearing badges, certain backpacks, clothing, and other items that may identify you as part of the team should be carefully considered;
  3. Large gatherings of CAF/DND groups in public should be avoided. It is recognised that upcoming events, such as Remembrance Day, will require special attention; and
  4. Blackberry use should be reserved for essential services.
You will likely be aware that, as a result of this morning’s event, security measures are being reviewed. This is a constant process. Certain changes will occur and some have already occurred. Your/our part in this is to take the direction provided, in this email and through other means, seriously and be alert so as to increase individual and collective safety in response to those who would do us harm.

Press conference now.

Reporters ask dumb questions.

"Were you caught off guard?"

How can you ask that?
How do you answer?

I'd go full on sarcastic.
~No. We saw it coming a mile away and we did nothing to stop it.~

It's all very sad what is happening in Ottawa today. I was there on vacation last summer and I recognize much of what they are showing on the news. My hotel was right around the corner from the Parliament buildings.

It is so great that you can openly walk up to the Parliament buildings. I suspect those days might be gone as a result of this nutcase.

Much Mojo of the family and friends of Cpl. Nathan Frank Cirillo Hamilton’s Argylls of Canada — 91st Canadian Highlanders

You will always Stand on Guard for thee

canadian-flag.jpg

Back