I think that my next pedal purchase will be a Sunface

You should have bought mine! A guy in Hawaii bought it at the listed price, and is really happy with it. It was a cool pedal, but finicky in the way germanium fuzzes can be. Not very pedalboard friendly either - no power jack, no light, and really wanted to be first in line.

Screen Shot 2017-12-15 at 9.53.05 AM.png

Built to my specs it's a bit expensive. They also can put the input trim on the outside which I would dig too for an additional fee.

I have a hard time justifying it since I don't play single coil guitars much at the moment and I don't know how these would sound with humbuckers. Plus I'd have to rework my life rig a bit to accomodate it. The Velvet Fuzz gives me a useable fuzz for my current gigs although there is not any of the fuzz face impedence magic going on.

I have a hard time justifying it since I don't play single coil guitars much at the moment and I don't know how these would sound with humbuckers. Plus I'd have to rework my life rig a bit to accomodate it. The Velvet Fuzz gives me a useable fuzz for my current gigs although there is not any of the fuzz face impedence magic going on.

You've sent me back down the rabbit hole, looking for a fuzz that doesn't care about signal chain or input type. I think I've ended up on the DOD Carcosa. It's loosely based on the Maestro FZ-1s, and has no magic parts to speak of. It's much heavier and grindier than a Fuzz Face, but appears to work very well when you roll off the guitar volume. Maybe one of these days, someone will take my lowball offer.

Yeah. I need to do something with my Velvet Fuzz other than use it for a fat lead sound. I'll mess with it on tonights gig a bunch and see how it likes the volume knob.

Well it wasn’t my next purchase after I posted this thread but it was ordered this morning with X-mas gift cards. Thank you Santa!

I probably won’t see it for a few weeks though...it seems like thy are backed up and I spec’d a few custom features......

Well it wasn’t my next purchase after I posted this thread but it was ordered this morning with X-mas gift cards. Thank you Santa!

I probably won’t see it for a few weeks though...it seems like thy are backed up and I spec’d a few custom features......
Yeah, I watched this video last week and I've been gassing for a Sunface.

I might build one when I get some cash.

Yeah, I watched this video last week and I've been gassing for a Sunface.

I might build one when I get some cash.
I don’t think that the sunface will be the best choice for my “daily” fuzz since I play mostly humbuckers but once my Tokai is running and I get my 440 back it will be a good addition to my smaller setup or just tagged in front of my large board.

I don’t think that the sunface will be the best choice for my “daily” fuzz since I play mostly humbuckers but once my Tokai is running and I get my 440 back it will be a good addition to my smaller setup or just tagged in front of my large board.
That input trim might just help you with that.

That input trim might just help you with that.

I’ll definutrly be playing with it when it shows up. I don’t think it’ll replace the Velvet Fuzz in my main rig (where I only use it for a saturated lead Sound) but I’m really excited to try the volume pot clean up thing. I’ve only ever owned a shitty stock Dunlop fuzz face so watching the video was kinda relavatory in terms of understanding how to really use a good one.

I’ll definutrly be playing with it when it shows up. I don’t think it’ll replace the Velvet Fuzz in my main rig (where I only use it for a saturated lead Sound) but I’m really excited to try the volume pot clean up thing. I’ve only ever owned a shitty stock Dunlop fuzz face so watching the video was kinda relavatory in terms of understanding how to really use a good one.

About 10 years ago, I had a Foxrox Hot Silicon Fuzz. I disappeared from the band mix every time I turned it on. When I asked my HCFX friends what to buy that had some of the same qualities, but worked better with humbuckers, I got recommendations for the Red Llama. And here I am today.

About 10 years ago, I had a Foxrox Hot Silicon Fuzz. I disappeared from the band mix every time I turned it on. When I asked my HCFX friends what to buy that had some of the same qualities, but worked better with humbuckers, I got recommendations for the Red Llama. And here I am today.
I honestly don’t expect this to be part of my regular setup but I’m willing to bet that it’ll work pretty well in trio settings if its properly setup.

What’s funny is that after I watched the video the next gig I played I tried using the my volume knob more with the Velvet Fuzz and it did NONE of the stuff the Fuz Face circuit does. I know that its essentially a “model” of a fuzz into an amp combined but it was funny how diffferent it was. I really like it as an “over the top” lead sound though.

I honestly don’t expect this to be part of my regular setup but I’m willing to bet that it’ll work pretty well in trio settings if its properly setup.

What’s funny is that after I watched the video the next gig I played I tried using the my volume knob more with the Velvet Fuzz and it did NONE of the stuff the Fuz Face circuit does. I know that its essentially a “model” of a fuzz into an amp combined but it was funny how diffferent it was. I really like it as an “over the top” lead sound though.

I wonder how similar it is to the Keeley Fuzz Head?

I wonder how similar it is to the Keeley Fuzz Head?
I just read up on both and the Fuzz head (i the videos at least) sounds a little trashier/fuzzier whereas the Velvet Fuzz is a bit smoother. The idea seems similar although the end result is a little different.

I had tried the VF at the LA Amp SHow a year or two ago and really liked it although it took a while for me to pull the trigger. It’s one of the few times I had a positive experience demoing a piece of gear at a trade show.

Back