I Think I'm About to Do Something Stupid

Alright...so I'm at a crossroads.

I literally played one of everything over the weekend. From MIM and other import stuff to boutique and vintage and custom shop guitars well over my budget.

I gained a pretty good understanding of what my preferences are. I also learned a lot about why my aesthetic fussiness is not suited to this era of relics and thin skin nitro finishes (it's how wood breathes).

I believe I can be happy with...

A.) A custom order G&L ASAT Special with my neck specs

B.) A lowly MIM Classic Series '50s or '60s tele.

The difference in price (at new retail) is about $600. If I go with the G&L, I know I'm getting a well made American instrument with all the hand finished bells and whistles that will depreciate roughly $600 the minute I open the case. Left over cash from the big money pile might allow me to address one or two but not all outstanding rig needs/wants. There's the off chance I'll still be left hankering for ye olde tele tone.

With the MIM, I'm getting a solid workhorse guitar with a couple potential annoyances...heel truss Rod adjustment, pickups that are fine but might lure me into the swap-o-go-round, and non compensated saddles--the idea of which might drive me ever so slightly bonkers if I decide I need something to worry about. I'm also saving enough that I can almost entirely shore up amp and pedal needs and still walk away with some money left in the big money pile I've accumulated for this scheme.

One of these plans is fiscally responsible. The other is indulgent and decadent and willful. So obviously, I'm torn.

Alright...so I'm at a crossroads.

I literally played one of everything over the weekend. From MIM and other import stuff to boutique and vintage and custom shop guitars well over my budget.

I gained a pretty good understanding of what my preferences are. I also learned a lot about why my aesthetic fussiness is not suited to this era of relics and thin skin nitro finishes (it's how wood breathes).

I believe I can be happy with...

A.) A custom order G&L ASAT Special with my neck specs

B.) A lowly MIM Classic Series '50s or '60s tele.

The difference in price (at new retail) is about $600. If I go with the G&L, I know I'm getting a well made American instrument with all the hand finished bells and whistles that will depreciate roughly $600 the minute I open the case. Left over cash from the big money pile might allow me to address one or two but not all outstanding rig needs/wants. There's the off chance I'll still be left hankering for ye olde tele tone.

With the MIM, I'm getting a solid workhorse guitar with a couple potential annoyances...heel truss Rod adjustment, pickups that are fine but might lure me into the swap-o-go-round, and non compensated saddles--the idea of which might drive me ever so slightly bonkers if I decide I need something to worry about. I'm also saving enough that I can almost entirely shore up amp and pedal needs and still walk away with some money left in the big money pile I've accumulated for this scheme.

One of these plans is fiscally responsible. The other is indulgent and decadent and willful. So obviously, I'm torn.

My 50s Classic Tele doesn't have a thin neck. It's a seriously fat 50s neck with a soft v. Small frets, but if you're worried about neck profile, that's something to know. Also, you'll want to upgrade the pickups. Mine has Duncans.

My 50s Classic Tele doesn't have a thin neck. It's a seriously fat 50s neck with a soft v. Small frets, but if you're worried about neck profile, that's something to know. Also, you'll want to upgrade the pickups. Mine has Duncans.

I'm looking for something with a chunkier neck...u or soft v profile. Vintage frets.

I found the pickups in the '60s strat I had to be surprisingly alright.

I'm looking for something with a chunkier neck...u or soft v profile. Vintage frets.

I found the pickups in the '60s strat I had to be surprisingly alright.

Mine has been a great guitar. Don't buy new. They're everywhere. Fender introduced a lacquer version a few years ago so they could charge more for it. Mine is the old poly version from '06. I bought it used, having been modded by two previous owners. I added some mods as well. I have absolutely no use for it now, but I'm not selling because I know I'll regret it. Best tele I've ever played.

Did you get a chance to try a Baja Tele? Custom Shop designed, but MIM...I lost these greatly.

I just sold a '60s Baja. It was alright, but I didn't love it. The neck felt fine, but a little too vanilla for my tastes. I probably didn't give it it's full due considering I went into TOTAL PURGE MODE not long after I bought it. I like the chunkier necks on the 50s Bajas I've played.

Mine has been a great guitar. Don't buy new. They're everywhere. Fender introduced a lacquer version a few years ago so they could charge more for it. Mine is the old poly version from '06. I bought it used, having been modded by two previous owners. I added some mods as well. I have absolutely no use for it now, but I'm not selling because I know I'll regret it. Best tele I've ever played.

Yeah. They're certainly plentiful. I've tried out the lacquer version...I wouldn't pay an upcharge for it.

Back