My "must keeprs" are:
Gibson J45 acoustic/electric
Epiphone AJ45ME acoustic/electric
Vintage Summer of Love electric

The "don't want to let go of" are
Luna Trinity 6 string and 12 string acoustic electric
Epiphone EJ160E hippiefied acoustic electric
Danelectro 63 electric

At this point, there is only one guitar left that I could get rid of, and that is the Luna Zia. I donated two Lunas to a program I worked at, and sold the two Luna electrics and the Blue Eclipse.

I have put all of my dice in words and mental shit, with a few specializations in food. Nothing I build would be worth a damn.

No, when I say I put all my dice in non-physical stuff I mean it. I come from a long line of profoundly unhandy gentlemen.

I really love building and tinkering with guitars...sometimes I really believe I enjoy it more than actually playing the things...

If you ever want to take a chance we can work together to spec one out, order the parts, and I'll put it together and set it up...

As far as purging is concerned I've done it a few times but always end up building it back...now that I've assembled an arsenal of self built customs that do exactly what I want them to do I don't see another all out purge coming...even though I have an embarrasing number of instruments...

I need to purge instead of building, but I love all the guitars I have...despite barely using them. They all have sentimental value...except for the Ibby Talman A/E that I also love, but has no value. The stuff I could move for at cost or profit is too near and dear (and not really replaceable without having to pay double and triple my initial investment).

Maybe they'll be worth something for my kids at some point...maybe.

That had a way different meaning than intended for a while there...

Last edited:
We've all purged at one time or another, with the result that there are more than a few guitars I regret getting rid of, but I will say, that being diagnosed with my major nickel and stainless steel allergies (that give me serious dermatitis issues), that force me to spend a serious chunks of change getting guitar refretted, to get rid of nickel alloy frets, have caused me to think long and hard, when it comes to buying and getting rid of guitars. I very much think long term, when it comes to guitar purchases. Amps - I'm usually pretty stable/set with regards to those.

I really love building and tinkering with guitars...sometimes I really believe I enjoy it more than actually playing the things...

If you ever want to take a chance we can work together to spec one out, order the parts, and I'll put it together and set it up...

Thanks for the offer...

I'm not sure if I'm going to go the parts/custom specs route because I don't trust myself entirely. But I'll keep that in mind.

My plan is coming together nicely, but I need to taste test some stuff before I choose a path.

@Help!I'maRock! may give me hell for being the pickiest, but I've only sold two guitars ever.

One was an Otto Vowinkel classical, which I bought for $8000 and sold for $10,000.

The other was, of course, a strat.

Thanks for the offer...

I'm not sure if I'm going to go the parts/custom specs route because I don't trust myself entirely. But I'll keep that in mind.

My plan is coming together nicely, but I need to taste test some stuff before I choose a path.
Once you get an idea of exactly what you want out of a guitar we could always spec one out for comparison...you may be surprised...

Try this experiment: on this and other guitar forums of your choice do a search for the terms "I wish I still had", "Man, I miss that" and "I regret selling" and read the tales of woe.

If thinning the herd is imperative, by all means go ahead, But be warned.
NO SHIT!! :(

You say you'd consider something in the $1.5k range or a little higher. Would that get you into Titan territory? They seem pretty f'kn nice.

Purge? Nah, I'd never do such a thing. Like having options far too much. :embarrassed:
I do play in several bands though, so all my guitars serve a specific purpose and get used regularly between the bands/projects I'm a part of.

Plan is working. Gears are spinning...

Current early considerations...

Ric 330 or 620. Reservations are the high gains and general Ric fiddlyness. Pros are sweet tones when it's right and I generally dig the playability.

G&L Custom Shop ASAT special. Reservations are some cosmetic quibbles and insane unimportant knowledge of overal market value. Pros...95% of preferred specs are available and quality will be killer. Don't necessarily trust my ability to manage spec selection.

Looking at boring and sensible stuff like PRS and Godin. Not sure if I can do it.

Will try a couple things from that Fender Pro Series. People are saying good stuff...but might be boring. Have to investigate...the Jaguar option is particularly appealing because I love the feel and sound of Fender short scales but hate the fiddlyness...which looks like Fender has taken steps to resolve.

Kicking around the idea of a Warmoth with all-time, all-time specs. All-rosewood neck. Chunky profile. Little frets. Shell pink or surf green t-format body with some kinda nifty jangle-focused pickup config. Again, investing tons in a vanity guitar with no real understanding of what sort of mess I might talk myself into.

Looking at various boutique DO YOU EVEN RELIC, BRO boner pill guitar options that might be doable. Gotta try some samples before I leave you jerks for greener pastures at TGP.

I think I'm going to have to go to CME and play one of everything before making any decisions.

Last edited:
Plan is working. Gears are spinning...

Current early considerations...

Ric 330 or 620. Reservations are the high gains and general Ric fiddlyness. Pros are sweet tones when it's right and I generally dig the playability.

G&L Custom Shop ASAT special. Reservations are some cosmetic quibbles and insane unimportant knowledge of overal market value. Pros...95% of preferred specs are available and quality will be killer. Don't necessarily trust my ability to manage spec selection.

Looking at boring and sensible stuff like PRS and Godin. Not sure if I can do it.

Will try a couple things from that Fender Pro Series. People are saying good stuff...but might be boring. Have to investigate...the Jaguar option is particularly appealing because I love the feel and sound of Fender short scales but hate the fiddlyness...which looks like Fender has taken steps to resolve.

Kicking around the idea of a Warmoth with all-time, all-time specs. All-rosewood neck. Chunky profile. Little frets. Shell pink or surf green t-format body with some kinda nifty jangle-focused pickup config. Again, investing tons in a vanity guitar with no real understanding of what sort of mess I might talk myself into.

I think I'm going to have to go to CME and play one of everything before making any decisions.

FWIW, Ric's "high gain" pickups are the lowest output pickups I've ever used. Even my crummy Danelectros have more output.

I like the G&L idea. Buy used.

FWIW, Ric's "high gain" pickups are the lowest output pickups I've ever used. Even my crummy Danelectros have more output.

I like the G&L idea. Buy used.

I know they're low output. I just know that the tones are often not always awesome...and my silly gearhead buddy will immediately get on my case about sinking some silly amount into handwound custom toaster style replacements.

Back