I seriously hate my studio PC...

This remonds me - my wife's POS system is on a PC that is getting sluggish. Hooked to the internet. It's connected to the internet for POS software updates - but lots of time the girls are on it checking their FB pages and other useless internet junk.

Is there a way to have access to the internet through a password?

If it really is your "studio PC" and all you use it for is recording, you shouldn't even have an internet connection on it. Get it stable and basically never mess with it again until it physically craps out and you have to start replacing things. It's amazing how many G4 Macs and older PCs you still see in studios even now, they still work because they never got all infested with viruses and extraneous software and all that mess.

Unfortunately I can't do that because my studio is at work and I don't have room for a secondary computer. I do have it set-up for dual boot though and I try to make sure that unless I'm actually recording something I'm on that side of the system and I do maintain it daily. Unfortunately I do end up having to restart and switch back and forth a lot through out the day.

One more reason I can't wait to get my Mac down there too. iMac at home is a motherfuckin' champ! :love:

One more thing....what do you think of the nicer Mac Mini for a recording machine in a small project studio?

The new ones should be fine, really. They have enough horesepower and memory internally, and something like 6 USB2 ports, plenty for midi interfaces and external HDs, and you can use the FW800 port for your interface, most likely. I haven't used the Minis much, to be honest, but spec-wise it seems like plenty for that application. I use my 3 year old iBook G4 for home recording most of the time, and if it can handle it, those should be able to no problem.

The new ones should be fine, really. They have enough horesepower and memory internally, and something like 6 USB2 ports, plenty for midi interfaces and external HDs, and you can use the FW800 port for your interface, most likely. I haven't used the Minis much, to be honest, but spec-wise it seems like plenty for that application. I use my 3 year old iBook G4 for home recording most of the time, and if it can handle it, those should be able to no problem.

It seems the biggest hurdle is the 5400 RPM drive, but most laptops have those so as long as you have an external it should'nt be an issue. I'd like to replace my home desktop with a Mini.

It seems the biggest hurdle is the 5400 RPM drive, but most laptops have those so as long as you have an external it should'nt be an issue. I'd like to replace my home desktop with a Mini.

Yeah, you'd definitely need to go with an external, but really you should be doing that anyway even if you have a fast system HD installed. USB2 is plenty fast enough for multi-tracking. You can pick up those WD drives for next to nothing these days.

Back