I removed the effects from our songs

Help!I'maRock!

Mediocringly Derivative
We lost our bassist last month. It was an amicable parting, but a necessary one, from all sides. Smurfco is now on bass and we've reconfigured as a trio. We may look for another guitarist this fall, but that's a ways off.

Over the past month, I started showing up to rehearsals with just a guitar, a SNARK TUNER, and my trusty Mr. Sage built Double Pickle Drive. As we've re-arranged everything, I've made notes on what effects will stay and what will go. In all, I removed delay from 4 songs, reverb from 4 songs, tremolo from 2 songs, phase from 2 songs, and distortion from 2 songs.

Our next rehearsal is in two weeks. In the interim, I'll be playing the songs with new effects arrangements. The songs are less of a tap dancing adventure, and I think they sound better too. IMO, effects are best used sparingly. It's ok to bring something just to use it once during a set. Just so long as that instance is exactly the right part. If not, then leave it home.

Last edited:
Right on. In my last band, we had 2 guitar players. I used no effects and the other guitar player had a huge board and used them all the time. I think when you are stripped down, there shouldn't be a ton of stuff going on. So you guys need to find a fourth person so you can get your effects back on.

After removing effects, are you going with "Bare Naked Trio" as the new band name? Of course, there might be some audience expectation as to your stage "presence." :wink:

So even after removing effects, everything on this board still gets used.

tumblr_o9oviyAfaL1r1df3ao1_1280.jpg

Back